Exporting Access Database to AyaNova

Per the manual I downloaded ImportClientVSV and Extracted it to Program Files on my PC (the same file AyaNova is in). I right clicked on my Access database…selected Export, and CSV is not in Program Files (top drop down list), or the file type (bottom drop down list).

Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave

Although Access support is outside of our AyaNova support, I’ve provided basic information below on exporting data from an Access database. As any database table could have completely different fields in it, it is not possible for us to provide step by step instructions on exporting from another program, nor on how to format for use with the ImportClientCSV program - we can only provide what the final CSV file must be formated as to be able to be used with the ImportClientCSV utility.

If creating a CSV file for eventual use with the ImportClientCSV utility, and your present data is in an Access database:

you would open the Access database via the Access program itself.
then you would select the table in this Access database that would be imported and right click on this table itself
then select Export which opens a “Export table “xxxx” to…” window (where xxxx is the name of the table you are exporting data from)
move to the location where you want to save to
in the Save As Type field at the very bottom, drop down and select the type Text Files (*.txt, *.csv, *.tab, *.asc)
enter in the name of the file with an extension csv on it - for example myclients.csv - into the File Name field
You will than need to edit this file so that it meets the exact format and field order outlined in the AyaNova v3 Manual on using the ImportClientCSV utility prior to being able to import.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Thanks Joyce

Hi Joyce,

I made a few more attempts to import my client database from Microsoft Access without success. Approximately 50 of my 350 clients entered into the AyaNova grid screen. Many other client records had information scrambled in the grid.

I have deleted the 300 scrambled client information records one at a time per your instructions.

Now I am attempting to enter these 300 records, one at a time using the Client Entry Screen. After I enter the client information manually, I hit the Save button, then the Exit button at the top of the page. When I am back at the Client Grid Screen, the client information is not there. I have repeated this process with the same results. I searched for the record I have been attempting to enter, and it comes up in a search.

Why aren’t these new client records being saved and showing in the Client Grid Screen?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave

You say that you do a search for the client , and it does come up in a search - so that would mean that the client record has been saved.

Select the Clients navigation pane
Select the Clients grid
Select the Refresh button at the top of the Clients grid
Do these new client records now display?
If you are creating new clients via the New… menu option in the Clients grid, once you save and exit the new client record, the grid will automatically refresh itself if using the AyaNova program.

Please confirm from what exact grid, step by step what you do to confirm that you are in the Clients grid selecting the New… menu option, and that when you select Save & Ext, you return to the Clients grid too.

• Joyce

Hi Joyce,

I click on the Clients button of the Navigation Pane to get to the Client Grid Screen. At the top of the Client Grid Screen I click the New button, which takes me to the Client Entry Screen. After entering my client information on the Client Entry Screen I click the Save button, then the Exit button on the top of the Client Entry Screen. This brings me back to the Client Grid Screen (without the new client entry). I have hit the Refresh button, with no change. I have also exited the software, and re-entered it, with no new client data on the Client Grid Screen.

When I first enter the client name in the Client Entry Screen I get a message to the effect that this client is already entered in the system/software.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave

If you receive a message “Warning: There is an existing item in the database with the same name” that is telling you that there already is a client with that same name entered - and you can not have the two clients with the same name.

So even though you select Save and than select Exit - that second client record with the same name will not show up ever.

You can confirm this by entering a client that is not already entered into your database, save it and exit - and you will see that the grid will now show this new client - as long as it has not already been entered.

• Joyce

Hi Joyce,

I understand that these client names that I am attempting to enter into AyaNova may be in the software somewhere, but they are not in the Client Grid Screen, or anywhere else that I can tell. Also, I have several clients with the same last name. Are yoiu telling me this is a problem for the AyaNova software?

Dave

Hi Dave
You can not have clients with the exact same text in the Client Name field in the client entry screen.

As suggested in the AyaNova v3 Manual, if you have clients with the same name, append to the name in the Client Name field additional text identifying thtat client from others with the same name - or you won’t know which is the one to select when creating a workorder.

For example, if you have two clients called ABC Accounting with what differentiates them is their location such as one located on 5th Street and another on Bell Ave, then enter into the Client Name field the first as “ABC Accounting - 5th St” and the other as “ABC Accounting - Bell Ave”.

If the database did allow entry of clients with the same name, how would you know which is which unless you identfiy by something in its name?

If you have confirmed that the text you are entering in the Client Name field in the client entry screen is not what is already entered for, provide the following:

Please exit out of the AyaNova program
Zip up the AyaNova database file AYANOVA.FDB using WinZip
Attach this compressed database to a direct email to support@ayanova.com
Include in your email message the AyaNova Administrator username and password
Include a number of examples of exactly what you are entering as text in the Client Name field in the client entry screen - that result in the message “Warning: There is an existing item in the database with the same name”

• Joyce

Wanted to post here for other AyaNova users that may also encounter this.

Received the database from Dave, the issue is that his Clients grid was filtered and therefore not all clients were displaying.

Remember, if you do not see a record in its grid, but a Search Database results in showing that it is there - this means you have either not enough Rows showing, or you have a filter on one or more columns that is restricting the records from showing

• Joyce