Firewalls Ports etc MsSQL Express

We have one PC in our organisation that seems to have a problem with the firewall. The only difference with this pc is that its running Sophos firewall. We are using the same config file as our other admin PC’s without issue. On this PC we get the message that our server may not be configured to accept remote connections. Our biggest problem is that we have to use sophos on this machine for as it has sensitive data and sophos is a prerequisite specified by the client whom the data belongs to.

Anyone tell me which ports and programs I need to make exceptions for?

Thanks in advance. Steve Lipton.

abscon (5/29/2009)We have one PC in our organisation that seems to have a problem with the firewall. The only difference with this pc is that its running Sophos firewall. We are using the same config file as our other admin PC’s without issue. On this PC we get the message that our server may not be configured to accept remote connections. Our biggest problem is that we have to use sophos on this machine for as it has sensitive data and sophos is a prerequisite specified by the client whom the data belongs to.
Anyone tell me which ports and programs I need to make exceptions for?
Thanks in advance. Steve Lipton.

Hi Steve

You will want to check with Sophos themselves to see if there is something specific you need to set on the networked computer itself that is running Sophos firewall as they will know best what is needed.

On the server itself where SQL is running, as per step #4 of the network AyaNova SQL configuration (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova) (or if using SQL Express then the AyaNova 5 Help file section is (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova) if there is a firewall enabled on the “server” computer where the SQL Express configuration is installed and setup, set exceptions for sqlserver.exe and sqlbrowser.exe, and/or UDP port 1434 and 1433 in some cases.

You will also what to make sure that remote connections are enabled in SQL too - see forum topics such as (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova) ]and the web site http://www.datamasker.com/SSE2005_NetworkCfg.htmhas 5 things to check.

Another suggestion is to do a search online with the specific text of the error you receive trying to attach to the AyaNova database from this computer, as well as the word Sophosas that might return links of others that have encountered and their solutions

Do post back what resolved it for you of the one networked computer running Sophos firewall unable to connect to the SQL database.

• Joyce