Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created

Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created

Windows 7 Pro 64, Server 2003, SQL 2005 SP2, Ayanova 6.0.0.0

I get the above error message just after login when the main window pops open. Only happens on one PC, I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 on my laptop as well on two other workstations and it does not happen on any of the other workstations. This error happens every time I login on my workstation, then login to AyaNova. All Windows patches are up to date. If I click the red X in the corner of the dialog box, Ayanova closes. If I click on ignore, Ayanova will continue to run but I have found instability when I do that. If I close the error window, close AyaNova and immediately log back in, I do not get the message and I can work with no problem. I am probably going to remove and reinstall AyaNova on this workstation since it is such a fresh build, butI wanted to post this here just in case you have any input. I saw the patch to 6.1.0 and will run that soon, but I have not found any reason to do that immediately.

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy

AyaNova has no known ssues with Windows 7 or 64bit and is working fine in our test environments too. Doesn’t mean that there isn’t an issue, just that we have not encountered it nor heard from any others to provide a solution.

Do confirm first that it is not tied to the AyaNova user you are logging in as. Log in as a different AyaNova user such as one that does not get any errors when logging in on another computer.

Thenif issue happens regardless of who log in as, than uninstall AyaNova, reboot, and then install AyaNova, and see if still happens. I doubt this will fix it, but it takes seconds to confirm and should be done to make sure.

Then log in again and confirm if error occurs. If it does, than there is something with this specific computer that has an issue. Shut down all other programs running to see if related in any way. I would also highly recommend double-checkingfor Windows updates again, and run repair on your updates as it may be one or more is not correct and causing this.

Let me know what you find.

• Joyce

Joyce

I use the same ID to login to my Windows 7 64 bit laptop without error.

I removed the AyaNova program and reinstalled and still get the same error.

No other programs running.

Will check Windows updates again.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi again Andy

Was wondering if applying and re-confirming that your computer has all of the latest Windows updates resolved the issue?

If not, do track what screen/grid you log into when the error occurs as well as what settings of that screen/grid.

For example: when the error occurs, click ignore, and make a note that the first screen that shows is the Schedule screen where it is showing a specific Scheduleable User Group XXX showing XX users showing the two dates XX and XX.

Or its the Travel grid in the Service navigation pane, with a specific filter selected XXXX that has the column XXX filtered by XXX and column XXX filtered by XXX.

And then make anothernote when the next time it occurs what screen/gridetc. As this may provide us with details to recreate, and from there identify why occurring.

• Joyce

I just wanted to let you know that I am receiving this same error every once in a while. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I noticed that this is supposed to be fixed in v6.2.0.0 so I updated today. I have received this message twice since updating. When I click close, it ends the program.

Any suggestions?

Hi and thank you for posting.

Development put it as a “potential fix” as we could never recreate it ourselves here, but felt perhaps it may have to do with the progress bar control that displays at the load of AyaNova. Thank you for posting that no, it did not resolve the issue. We will continue to try to recreate getting the error, so that than we can determine what to do to resolve it.

If you determine in what specificcircumstances it occurs (i.e. a certain other program is running or also installed, a certain Widows service patch,a specific AyaNova grid viewed on entry , a specific setting in that grid when entering etc) do let us know. Do note that the error does appear to only occur on first run of AyaNova in that Widows session (i.e. have rebooted Windows and running AyaNova first time) - so troubleshooting would require rebooting inbetween running AyaNova.

• Joyce

We took a shot in the dark at fixing this the first time around since we can’t reproduce it here. It appears our attempted fix didn’t resolve the problem so now we need a lot more information from those experiencing it to have any chance of getting to the bottom of it.

We need to know the following:

1. Does this error happen only after freshly starting windows (i.e. first booting up) but doesn’t happen in later AyaNova sessions within the same Windows session?

2. When exactly does this error happen, my information is that it’s happening on first running AyaNova but need it more pinned down than that, i.e. is it upon starting AyaNova before the login dialog or immediately after clicking on OK in the login dialog or after a bit of time has gone by and at the point where the main window would normally show? Or some other point entirely?

3. Can you reproduce it, i.e. make it happen at will or does it happen every time or is it completely random with nothing in common between times it happens?

4. What are the specs of the computer it’s happening on (brand, model, operating system, how recently patched, any services or applications running that do not come with Windows)

5. When you click ignore on the error what is the first form you see and is it always this form or does it happen if your last session ended on another form?

6. When did it first start, was it after a change of some kind, different versions of windows or AyaNova or a new computer or…?

I received this message as well after erasing our database in Ayanova and attempting to log back in. We just upgraded from 5.1 to 6.2 earlier today.

After clicking “ignore” Ayanova closes. Then I successfully logged into the program after reopening it and the message has not reappeared.

-Chris

NPG (4/8/2010)I received this message as well after erasing our database in Ayanova and attempting to log back in. We just upgraded from 5.1 to 6.2 earlier today.

After clicking “ignore” Ayanova closes. Then I successfully logged into the program after reopening it and the message has not reappeared.

-Chris

Hi Chris, you must have missed my post just above the one you made, we can’t reproduce this issue here and it’s extremely rare so we need information to attempt to fix this:

1. Does this error happen only after freshly starting windows (i.e. first booting up) but doesn’t happen in later AyaNova sessions within the same Windows session?

2. When exactly does this error happen, my information is that it’s happening on first running AyaNova but need it more pinned down than that, i.e. is it upon starting AyaNova before the login dialog or immediately after clicking on OK in the login dialog or after a bit of time has gone by and at the point where the main window would normally show? Or some other point entirely?

3. Can you reproduce it, i.e. make it happen at will or does it happen every time or is it completely random with nothing in common between times it happens?

4. What are the specs of the computer it’s happening on (brand, model, operating system, how recently patched, any services or applications running that do not come with Windows)

5. When you click ignore on the error what is the first form you see and is it always this form or does it happen if your last session ended on another form?

6. When did it first start, was it after a change of some kind, different versions of windows or AyaNova or a new computer or…?

Sorry, here are my responses.

1. No, I just rebooted and this issue did not reappear.

2. This started after clearing the database via a networked client. We use a Full SQL 2005 installation.

3. I cannot reproduce this error. If it happens again I will report back what happened and see if I can reliably reproduce it. Given this fact, I understand it is virtually impossible for you (support) to isolate and repair the issue.

4. My client is a Win 7 32bit, 4 gig ram, Core2Duo. Full updates. I run a variety of programs but I do not believe any were running at the time. My A/V is Microsoft Security Essentials.

5. When clicking ignore the program exits.

6. yes, the change was updating from 5.1 to 6.2. Exit, reopen the program. Poked around the sample database, then did the db clear.

Hope this helps a little. It’s very intermittent and doesn’t cause a major headache.

~ Chris

Hi Chris, you must have missed my post just above the one you made, we can’t reproduce this issue here and it’s extremely rare so we need information to attempt to fix this:

1. When exactly does this error happen, my information is that it’s happening on first running AyaNova but need it more pinned down than that, i.e. is it upon starting AyaNova before the login dialog or immediately after clicking on OK in the login dialog or after a bit of time has gone by and at the point where the main window would normally show? Or some other point entirely?
  1. Can you reproduce it, i.e. make it happen at will or does it happen every time or is it completely random with nothing in common between times it happens?
  1. What are the specs of the computer it’s happening on (brand, model, operating system, how recently patched, any services or applications running that do not come with Windows)
  1. When you click ignore on the error what is the first form you see and is it always this form or does it happen if your last session ended on another form?
  1. When did it first start, was it after a change of some kind, different versions of windows or AyaNova or a new computer or…?

Thanks Chris, that’s actually very helpful because you have a 32 bit os and so far we’ve only seen it on 64bit.

Cheers!

You are welcome. Good luck with bug hunt. One more note- since we didn’t really have any data in 5.1 I decided to delete our SQL database and reinstall ayanova, then redo the tomsql conversion so that we’d have a fresh database. I think there were a few items that had gotten a little wonky (i think that’s the tech term :).

Things seem to be running a bit better (e.g. workorder item status is now showing up in the Items view) and haven’t hit any error messages. My unprofessional opinion is something in the db might be causing a few hiccups, not the program itself.

-Chris

sorry, i wish i could edit my post…to clarify, our db before might have been a little corrupted when we upgraded to 6.2, but now with clean db everything seems to be perfect.

I am also experiencing this error. I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. Ayanova version 6.3.0

Yes, it seems to only happen the first time the program is started. Subsequent times that it is opened, the error does not appear.

1. When exactly does this error happen, my information is that it’s happening on first running AyaNova but need it more pinned down than that, i.e. is it upon starting AyaNova before the login dialog or immediately after clicking on OK in the login dialog or after a bit of time has gone by and at the point where the main window would normally show? Or some other point entirely?

The error box comes up AFTER the login and splash screen, on my machine it pops up at the same time the main window opens.

1. Can you reproduce it, i.e. make it happen at will or does it happen every time or is it completely random with nothing in common between times it happens?

Yes, I can reproduce it. It happens every time I boot up and run it. It does not happen if you log out and log back in, it only happens on a fresh boot.

1. What are the specs of the computer it’s happening on (brand, model, operating system, how recently patched, any services or applications running that do not come with Windows)

Toshiba Qosmio F45, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Ayanova was upgraded yesterday to version 6.3.0 and the issue is still occurring. The previous version was 2 releases behind the 6.3.0 update, and it was occurring then as well. The problem occurs no matter if Ayanova is the first program opened, or after several have already been opened.

1. When you click ignore on the error what is the first form you see and is it always this form or does it happen if your last session ended on another form?

2. When did it first start, was it after a change of some kind, different versions of windows or AyaNova or a new computer or…?

Not as far as I know, I just recently installed the application on this laptop, and it has been happening since the installation.

Hope that helps. It almost seems as though a function is being called to do some action before the window object is created. That is, maybe it is referencing an object that doesn’t exist yet when the function is called. Could the computer be loading thecode too fast? That is, the program code continues before the window itself can be painted/created? Maybe there could be a check for the existence of the main window before any function calls are made? Just my ideas on what is going on.

For reference, this laptop is a Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.8GHz with 4 gigs of RAM. The install of Windows 7 was a clean install, and was recent (within the past week or two). Antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials. The laptop is joined to a domain.

Good luck with it…

Thanks Brad, that’s helpful info!

You’re the first to pin down the time line for us. Unfortunately literally thousands of things are happening at that window in time but finding specific stalks of hay in a haystack are the specialty of all good developers everywhere.

As it stands it’s ultra rare and the only commonality is windows 7 32 or 64 bit however there are a lot of people running AyaNova on windows 7 32 and 64 bit without this issue.

We can’t reproduce it here even with a super-fast quad core machine with 32 bit or 64 bit windows 7 so we’re leaning towards it being some interference with third party software or drivers however now that we have a window in time we’ll pore over that and run it through a tracer and see if perhaps it’s something going on in the background that we haven’t coded ourselves.

The error box comes up AFTER the login and splash screen, on my machine it pops up at the same time the main window opens.

Brad, when you say “at the same time” does this mean you simultaneously see the error message and the main window or does the error message come up slightly before the main window appears or slightly after the main window appears?

Is the main window populated with what you would expect to see or are there blank sections in it or entirely blank and just a frame or…?

Can you take a screenshot of your entire desktop showing the error and email it to support?

Also, what is the normal screen that comes up in AyaNova (the one you were last in when you exited) is it the schedule form or one of the list forms?

(There’s a theory here that it might be only erroring on certain screens being the default one that comes up)

To be more specific, “at the same time” means just a fraction of a second BEFORE the main window pops up, but very nearly at the same time. When I refer to the “main window” I am talking about the schedule screen with appointments, which always appears when I open Ayanova. The window is populated with my scheduled items, I can see them behind the error dialogue box. It’s modal of course, so when I hit the “X” it closes Ayanova as well.

I’ll certainly send you a screenshot of the error in action for you. I’ll send it to the support email tomorrow when I’m back at work.

Like others have mentioned, it’s not a huge deal, it just means I have to open the program twice when my computer boots up. I’m mainly just letting you guys know about it.

I am talking about the schedule screen with appointments, which always appears when I open Ayanova.

Excellent information, one final thing I’d like you to try: Next time you get a chance go to a screen other than the schedule screen like a workorder list, then close AyaNova, reboot and see if you get that error. We’d really like to know if it only happens when the schedule form is the one that was last viewed or if that doesn’t matter. Knowing that will narrow it down considerably.

I can confirm that the error message comes up when I exited on another screen (Service tab) with work orders listed. Not sure if that’s what you wanted to hear or not, but yep, it happens elsewhere too.

Excellent! Either way is good news because it eliminates a big area to look at.

Cheers!