Program failure when deleting data

Hello -

As you may have guessed from my earlier post, I’m trying to complete both client & equipment loads in order to go live.

Earlier this evening, I’d successfully loaded a couple of test files of data & wanted to delete everything & start over with clean data now that the files are ready to go.

As per the instructions, I logged in as the AyaNova Administrator, selcted menu Help -> License & selected the Erase all Data menu option. I then rec’d the error log attached.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Gladys

Hi again Gladys

From the error, I’m thinking that another was logged in or another AyaNova related program was running. To be sure, do the following:

• Make sure all users are out of the AyaNova program, including yourself

• Make sure there are no other AyaNova related programs still loaded (none of the Import utilites, not Generator, not WBI, not QBI, not Data Portal etc - double-check none of these are running)
    -Now log in as the AyaNova Administrator on one computer only, select Help -> License -> Erase entire database

• Joyce

Morning Joyce -

As I was the only one in working at 10pm last night, I figured I was safe. I’m positive I was the only user on the program.

Although at this point the program will not activate. I tried rebooting the system & when trying to open it, I receivean error (I thought I saw it in the log at the end) andit fails.

Gladys

Morning again -

I will send the error currently beinggenerated when trying to open Ayanova later today when I have access.

Thank you for your patience-

Gladsy

Hi Gladys

Without the error message I can not say for certain - but if it is a case that the database has become corrupted, you will want to restore from your backup prior to erasing the database.

Please do post the full text of the error message here and we can go from there.

• Joyce

Hello Joyce -

Well things just keep getting more interesting by the minute…

Launched Ayanova & it came to the login screen. Logged in as Administrator & it actually opened with the Client test data as it was loaded last night! However as soon as you touch a Client, receive the following error: Object referencenot set to an instance of an object. Then the program shuts down. The same result with the subgrids within Client & Units. Have also logged in with another user id although still an administrator account.

Checked some of the other grid areas to determine theUser (memos & notifications), Service, Quotes, Preventative Maintenance, Inventory& Scheduleare cleared or erased.

Since I’d made the change to the .config to import the client files would that have made any difference?

Any ideas to try?

Thanks -

Gladys

Hi Gladys

It may be that your database became corrupted duringthe Erase - not all data was successfully erased and links between tables were therefore corrupted etc.

-Exit out of AyaNova
-Ensure no one else or no other program is attaching to the AyaNova database (this includes any anti-virus program)
-Log in as the AyaNova Administator and go directly to the Help -> License -> Erase entire database
-The database will erase itself and shut down at the same time.
-Than log back in and confirm it is erased.

If this does not address the issue, than:

-Perform the restore of your backup that was made sometime prior to erasing the database - restore as per the instructions for backup up and restore of the network Firebird configuration of AyaNova in the AyaNova v3 Manual section “BACKING UP USING THE NETWORK FIREBIRD SERVER” starting page587 with the restore instructions starting on page 590.
-Once you have successfully restored, than perform the erase again - be sure to be logged in as the AyaNova Administrator.

Let me know

• Joyce

Hi Joyce -

As recommended, went through the Erase all Data steps again. Receive the warnings that all data will be erased & the process starts. Receive the error:

internal gds software consistency check (partner index description no found 175)

Choice is to Abort, Ignore or Copy All, then the program shuts down.

When relaunching AyaNova receive the attached error then the program shuts down.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Gladys

Hi Gladys

Did you restore from your backup as suggested? I’ve copied again below my previous suggestion.

If this does not address the issue, than:

-Perform the restore of your backup that was made sometime prior to erasing the database - restore as per the instructions for backup up and restore of the network Firebird configuration of AyaNova in the AyaNova v3 Manual section “BACKING UP USING THE NETWORK FIREBIRD SERVER” starting page587 with the restore instructions starting on page 590.
-Once you have successfully restored, than perform the erase again - be sure to be logged in as the AyaNova Administrator.

Let me know

• Joyce

Hello Joyce

and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Have been trying to determine if a back up had ever been created correctly in this system & unfortunately not. There is a copy of the database that was made recently. Is there any way to restore from the copy. If not, what will be our next step?

Thanks -

Gladys

Hi Gladys

I am sorry to hear that you do not have a backup as that would be an easy fix by reverting to the database from before the issue occurred.

I am not sure what you mean by a “copy” as you are running the AyaNova configured for network Firebird Server use, and any direct access of the database will more than likely cause database corruption.

Once the Firebird Server is “serving” the database, the database file itself would never be anti-virus scaned, never be directly copied, never be moved as this will cause database issues - which may be what the issue with your database is caused by. We provide steps on how to backup the AyaNova database when using the network Firebird configuration that creates a “snapshot” of the database, and than database snapshot is what is backed up.

If ever the AyaNova database that is configured for network Firebird Server use needs to be directly moved or copied, you MUST shut down the Firebird Manager.

By direct email to support@ayanova.com, send the following and we will go from there:

-Shut down the Firebird Manager via Control Panel on the server
-Using WinZip, zip up the AYANOVA.FDB database file
-Attach to a direct email to support@ayanova.com,
-include your AyaNova Administrator username and password
-reference this Forum topic http://forum.ayanova.com/Topic3329-89-1.aspxin your email so I know what this is for

I will take a look and see what direction we go through from there.

• Joyce

Morning Joyce -

Thanks for reminding all of us the importance of a backup done properly.

I need to coordinate access to the network server in order to complete the next steps & will send a note when the files are coming your way.

Thanks again -

Gladys

Hello again -

The requested file has been sent & look forward to any suggestions.

In the meantime have been trying to set up the backup so we will be able to properly backup & restore the info if required & am having difficulties with firebird server:

> C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin>gsec -user sysdba -
> password masterkey
> Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database
> administrator to
> set up a Firebird login.
> unable to open database
> C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin>gsec -user AyaNova -
> password letmein
> Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database
> administrator to
> set up a Firebird login.
> unable to open database

The person who originally installed Firebird is no longer available & as such am wondering if there is another method to define the name & password.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Gladys

The Firebird Server’s username and password would be identified already in the AyaNova.exe.config file that was edited by that person to connect to your networked AyaNova Firebird Server database.

If you have any further questions on this, zip up your AyaNova.exe.config file using WinZip and attach to a private message or directly to support@ayanova.com as also requested in the previous reply to send the AyaNova database and other info.

[Edit as of 8/30/2007: Received the database file from the AyaNova user, and it was corrupted which was the issue. As the AyaNova user had not entered any data yet, provided direct instructions to the AyaNova user to start fresh - uninstall AyaNova, manually delete the corrupted AyaNova database, install AyaNova from scratch, setup AyaNova for network use, apply the activation key to unlock and begin again. AyaNova user has also implemented backup procedure.]

• Joyce