Daylight savings and WBI

Hello,

We currently have Ayanova setup on a server running MSSQL and IIS (for WBI and MBI). The server is set to a particular time zone with the setting to adjust the clock in accordance with daylight savings enabled.

When we run ayanova as an application from a PC set to the same time zone and daylight savings option, the times are all consistent regardless of the report run or any other view of date/time fields from within the application.

When we use WBI to access the same ayanova database, again from a PC with the same settings as the server, the times shown for workorders with dates that fall before the last change in daylight savings time (which was April 5th for us) are being shown one hour earlier than the same field is shown from within the Ayanova application.

ie. a workorder date time field that falls prior to the last daylight savings time change is shown differently when viewed through WBI to when viewed within ayanova.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Hi Jason

All date/times are stored in the AyaNova database based on GMT date/time. What date/time is shown depends on what is set on the server as everything is in relation to that.

What version of AyaNova is in use? Please provide the exact version number by logging into AyaNova and selecting Help -> About

Alsoprovide a specific example of what you see - providing the actual time, what specific field in what specific entry screen, as well as what the regional setting specially is on that computer connectingas well as the specific regional setting on the server where WBI and MBI is run. Also confirm is this the same server where the AyaNova database itself resides?

It is after regular support hours now, but I will check back later for your reply and then set up a test here recreating exactly what you see so that I can confirm exactly for you what is occurring and why. Thank you

• Joyce

Hi,

Ayanova version is 5.0.0.0.

MSSQL and Ayanova and WBI and IIS all installed on one server.

That server’s regional settings are identical to the three client machines we have tested this on (GMT + 10), and all four machines tested also have the tickbox to select “Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings Time”.

A specific field that shows a variation would be WorkorderService.Label.ServiceDate. There is more than one which does.

When viewed in Ayanova one example workorder shows that field as 9:10AM while the same workorder viewed through WBI from the same machine shows that same field as 8:10AM.

This is true for multiple workorders check, but only up to the date when daylight savings took effect, which was April 5th. Date fields with values later than April 5th match when viewed with Ayanova or WBI.

I hope this is what you need to know. It looks like a WBI specific issue but if this is something related to IIS just let me know.

This is not urgent - thanks.

Hi again Jason, I did some testing last night but as wasn’t sure what regional settings you had, nor the version, nor specifically what fields, wasn’t sure if I had the sitaution as yours because I could not recreate any issue with differences in viewing dates/times between Ayanova program and WBI.
My testing initially had TESTSERVER set up with (GMT-8) Pacific Time (US & Canada) with Automatically adjust for daylight savings time checkmarked - is running WBI 5.0.2 as well as has the AyaNova 5.0.2 SQL Express 2008 database and the same on the test stations, and both the AyaNova program on the server and on the stations all showed the same date/time in Service Date fields, and the same date/time in Service Details field when viewed via WBI.

I then set up with the following to see if I could recreate:

TESTSERVER set up with (GMT+10) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney with Automatically adjust for daylight savings time checkmarked

STATION1 set up with (GMT+10) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney with Automatically adjust for daylight savings time checkmarked

Workorder #4445 Service Date field is April 24th 2:07AM when viewed via the AyaNova program on the TESTSERVER1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4445 Service Date field is April 24th 2:07AM when viewed via the AyaNova program on the STATION1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4445 Service Date field is April 24th 2:07AM when viewed via WBI on the TESTSERVER1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4445 Service Date field is April 24th 2:07AM when viewed via WBI on the STATION1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4375 Service Date field is March 18th10:00PM when viewed via the AyaNova program on the TESTSERVER1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4375 Service Date field is March 18th10:00PM when viewed via the AyaNova program on the STATION1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4375 Service Date field is March 18th10:00PM when viewed via WBI on the TESTSERVER1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
Workorder #4375 Service Date field is March 18th10:00PM when viewed via WBI on the STATION1 logged in as the AyaNova Administrator
I checked many different workorders, and I can’t find any whether created or the Service Date set before April 5th showing a difference when viewing via WBI from when viewing via the AyaNova program.

Please confirm by loading the AyaNova program on the server itself - check what the date/time is for the Service Date for the workorder via the AyaNova program while on the server itself. Then bring up WBI on the server, and check that same Service Date in that same workorder. Let me know

• Joyce

Hi again Jason, did you double-check loading the AyaNova program on the server itself ? Check what the date/time is for the Service Date for the workorder via the AyaNova program while on the server itself. Then bring up WBI on the server, and check that same Service Date in that same workorder? Did you determine what it was that was causing the time discrepancy in your situation? It is quite possible that I had something different setup then you did, and this way I can confirm what the cause is, and if it is something we need to update and allow for.

• Joyce

Hi,

I have checked and the date shown when using the ayanova client application on the server matches that shown when the same fields are viewed through WBI. The same fields when viewed from all other client workstations we have tested, (mixture of XP Pro, Vista Business, all with same time zone and daylight savings option selected) show workorders with a date prior to 5th April 2009 as being one hour later.

I’ve checked this by displaying datetime fields in a test MSSQL database with values before on after April 5th on the same server. There is no discrepancy when viewing those MSSQL fields between the local server (MS Query Builder) and on the same client machines again through MS Query Builder.

Tricky

Hello Tricky

I am not able to recreate this with a test setup here. Whatever the Service Date date/time shows on the server when viewing via WBI or via the AyaNova program when viewing the workorder entry screen or the Service Workorders grid, is the same Service Date date/time shown when viewing via WBI whether also at the server or at another computer. Perhaps there is some update or mikssing update or setting on your server or on your networked computers that is causing this as its obviously tied to the Daylight Savings Time that kicked in on April 5.

Please send an email to support@ayanova.com with the following information as I am not able to recreate this on any test setup here with (GMT+10) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney with Automatically adjust for daylight savings time checkmarked on a test server and on test networked computers with AyaNova and WBI 5 so that I can check here:

1. URL for your WBI

2. Go to your server:

• confirm what the time zone is set for and provide that
  • what is the time and date right now on this server
  • what is the operating system of this server
  • has the latest Windows update patches been applied to this server
  • what is the web browser that you are using on this server and its version
  • log into WBI on this server with a speicfic username and password. Provide that same username and password in your email
  • View a workorder where the Service Date is after April 5 2009 - what is that workorder #
  • what is the Service Date when shown in the workorder entry screen in this workorder
  • now view a workorder where the Service Date is before April 5 2009 - what is this workorder #
  • what is the Service Date when shown in the workorder entry screen in this workorder
  1. Now go to each of your networked computers
  • what is the time and date right now on this networked computer
  • what is the operating system of this computer
  • has the latest Windows update patches been applied to this computer
  • what is the web browser that you are using on this computer and its version
  • have you tried this on Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11?
  • log into WBI on this networked computer with the same username and password you used for WBI on the server.
  • View the same workorder # as you did on the server where the Service Date is after April 5 2009 - confirm this wokrorder #
  • now view the same workorder where the Service Date is before April 5 2009 that you did on the server - confirm this workorder #

(so you will be sending information for three different networked computers)

Please be sure to provide the above in point form to each question so that I completely understand which above you are answering

I will then log in from here using the same information you have provided above with same settings here to see if I can recreate.

• Joyce

Hi again

Actually before you send the info requested above, please reboot your server first. Then confirm if there is a time disrepancy when viewing the Service Date field in a workorder entry screen via WBI on a networked computer compared to the viewing the same via WBI on the server:

Please send an email to support@ayanova.com with the following informationso that I can check here:

1. URL for your WBI

2. Go to your server:

• reboot the server first- confirm what the time zone is set for on this server and provide that in your email as well as each of the below
  • what is the time and date right now on this server
  • what is the operating system of this server
  • has the latest Windows update patches been applied to this server
  • what is the web browser that you are using on this server and its version
  • log into WBI on this server with a speicfic username and password. Provide that same username and password in your email
  • View a workorder where the Service Date is after April 5 2009 - what is that workorder #
  • now view a workorder where the Service Date is before April 5 2009 - what is this workorder #
  1. Now go to each of your networked computers
  • what is the time and date right now on this networked computer
  • what is the operating system of this computer
  • has the latest Windows update patches been applied to this computer
  • what is the web browser that you are using on this computer and its version
  • have you tried this on Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11?
  • log into WBI on this networked computer with the same username and password you used for WBI on the server.
  • View the same workorder # as you did on the server where the Service Date is after April 5 2009 - confirm this wokrorder #
  • now view the same workorder where the Service Date is before April 5 2009 that you did on the server - confirm this workorder #

(so you will be sending information for three different networked computers)

Please be sure to provide the above in point form to each question so that I completely understand which above you are answering

I will then log in from here using the same information you have provided above with same settings here to see if I can recreate.

• Joyce

Hi Joyce,

It will probably be a few days at least before I can arrange for all this information to be sent to you. In the meantime we are going to do some more basic tests to see if can pinpoint the issue by setting the time backwards on a test copy of the server and a client and seeing if we can duplicate the fault.

It may be that we can see the results of an issue relating to daylight savings not being correctly handled by either the server or clients up to April 5th. The convention would be to store the datetime value in the database in GMT and I can see that this is certainly the case, but of course if the server and client do not agree as to the effect of daylight savings the recorded datetime would be wrong by exactly one hour. I doubt that this is related to Ayanova, but if it seems to be WBI specific then I’ll certainly let you know.

Thanks,

Jason (not trick, that was just a comment).