Ayanova - 3rd party app - close method

Hey guys,

At my job we use Ayanova CE relatively successfully however we have a very poor network/internet connection. Often we find our connection to the database server (where the ayanova access database is stored) lost. Which makes us go through like 50 msgbox’s to close the program or we’re forced to ctrl alt del it. So I developed a program which monitors the clients connection to the database server. Once the connection islost it automatically closes Ayanova. I have the application search for the title of ayanova in this particular instance “Ayanova® - Jonathan” and then ayanova is sent a “WM_CLOSE” command. The application works fine, the app closes without issue - however, once I try to reconnect to our server I constantly get a “connection unavailable” until I restart. If I go to another machine I can get onto the server fine. Having to restart ruins the convience of what this app was supposed to do. I have some suspecsion that some sockets or ports - or something is still open once I kill ayanova using the “WM_CLOSE” command which is causing some sort of reconnection error. Can you guys think of anything that may be causing this?

Thanks a lot - Jonathan

jonathan (6/22/2006)Hey guys,

At my job we use Ayanova CE relatively successfully however we have a very poor network/internet connection. Often we find our connection to the database server (where the ayanova access database is stored) lost. Which makes us go through like 50 msgbox’s to close the program or we’re forced to ctrl alt del it. So I developed a program which monitors the clients connection to the database server. Once the connection islost it automatically closes Ayanova. I have the application search for the title of ayanova in this particular instance “Ayanova® - Jonathan” and then ayanova is sent a “WM_CLOSE” command. The application works fine, the app closes without issue - however, once I try to reconnect to our server I constantly get a “connection unavailable” until I restart. If I go to another machine I can get onto the server fine. Having to restart ruins the convience of what this app was supposed to do. I have some suspecsion that some sockets or ports - or something is still open once I kill ayanova using the “WM_CLOSE” command which is causing some sort of reconnection error. Can you guys think of anything that may be causing this?

Thanks a lot - Jonathan

Yikes!<grin>I’m amazed that you haven’t got a corrupted database yet.

I can’t say if the reason you can’t reconnect is because a connection is stuck already or if it’s simply the original problem of losing the network connection continuing to be a problem, but one thing is certain you will get a corrupted database at some point, the old JET database engine that AyaNova CE usedis extremely intolerant of broken connections. In fact it’s usually exteremely intolerant of even intermittent or slow connections.

I would not for a second attempt to work around this, your headed for disaster if you do. It’s much wiser to fix the original problem of the poor network connection.

If this is a situation where you are trying to run AyaNova to a remote database such as over a slow WAN or the internet that’s not recommended, it was never designed for that, the new AyaNova is much better for that purpose as it has full support for a remote server through a dataportal or directly to the database server and is designed internally to be much more bullet proof.

If it’s a local area network and you are having that much trouble there is something seriously wrong with the network that should be looked into.