AyaNova & SQL 2000 Replication

Can I set up Transactional Replication on AyaNova Database between two MsSQL 2000 Servers? Replication adds new columns to all tables which may cause INSERT statments without column list to fail. Would they fail? AyaNova 4.1. Thx.

mospan (3/14/2009)Can I set up Transactional Replication on AyaNova Database between two MsSQL 2000 Servers? Replication adds new columns to all tables which may cause INSERT statments without column list to fail. Would they fail? AyaNova 4.1. Thx.

Transactional replication is untested and unsupported. Note also that in AyaNova 5.x AyaNova will not start if it detects any changes to the database such as the additional Guid columns that are added for transactional replication.

I’d like to know a little more about what you’re trying to accomplish with this, perhaps we can find an alternative for you. Traditionally if you are after a high availability solution or failover solution it would be accomplished outside of SQL Server itself at the hardware or OS level.

I wanted to have a live replica of the database for redundancy. Should the main server crash due to let’s say motherboard failure, I could point all clients to the failover machine in a few minutes. Too bad that’s not gonna work.

mospan (3/15/2009)I wanted to have a live replica of the database for redundancy. Should the main server crash due to let’s say motherboard failure, I could point all clients to the failover machine in a few minutes. Too bad that’s not gonna work.

Ahhh…I see, a high availability scenario then. I was a network tech for many years before this and I keep my eyes on what is happening in the DataCenter and saw something very interesting a while ago.

We have no relationship with them, but VMWare has excellent solutions for this:

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/continuity/highavailability.html

This is far more efficient than basic mirroring because you actually get the use of all hardware at once so you don’t have a server sitting doing nothing, each piece of hardware you throw into it becomes part of a virtual server, if one fails it just keeps running and this applies to all your server uses, not just sql server. It also means you can swap entire servers on the fly live, easily backup any server, live etc etc. It’s looking like the way the industry is going for high availability.

They have a video that demonstrates what you can do with it, it’s pretty amazing:

http://www.vi3demo.com/

Sounds very interesting, will take a look at it. Thanks a lot.