Customizing Import Utility

Good afternoon all,

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but i did some searching and could not find anything on this. I am wondering if it is possible to import other fields via the Unit import export utility. Specifically i would like to be able to import to the “unit has own address” field and the address fields associated.

So, i guess my first question is…is this possible? and secondly if it is, where do i start looking to modify this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

cmiller (1/13/2009)Good afternoon all,

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but i did some searching and could not find anything on this. I am wondering if it is possible to import other fields via the Unit import export utility. Specifically i would like to be able to import to the “unit has own address” field and the address fields associated.

So, i guess my first question is…is this possible? and secondly if it is, where do i start looking to modify this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris the utility itself is as it is, you can only import export what is built into it, however since you posted in the developers API message board I’m guessing you are interested in developing your own, that is very easy to do with the developers API, see the getting started guide in the pinned topic in this forum.

If, after checking out the developers API stuff you feel like it’s something you can tackle I can provide any pointers you need if you get stuck.

Basically a unit is created and saved like this:

Unit u = Unit.NewItem();

u.Serial = "1234serialnumber";
                u.ClientID = CLIENTID;//IDOFCLIENTFROMPRVIOUSLYFETCHEDCLIENTLIST
                u.UnitHasOwnAddress = true;
                u.GoToAddress.City = "Texarkana";
                //etc, fill out whatever fields you need to
                u.Save();

John,

Thank you for the quick response. I’m not sure that’s something i can do, I really only know php, html, mysql…if i had source code for the import utility, i may be able to decipher what i need to add, but it sounds as though that is not possible anyway.

Do you have any suggestions as to developers who could build something to include the fields imported by the import utility and also additional fields? Or any other ideas?

We have customers who have multiple locations with machines at each location and need to be able to have the different physical machine locations associated with said machines serial number. hahah…if that makes sense.

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Thank you for the quick response. I’m not sure that’s something i can do, I really only know php, html, mysql…if i had source code for the import utility, i may be able to decipher what i need to add, but it sounds as though that is not possible anyway.

I could give you the full source code but it would be pretty time consuming for you if you aren’t up to speed on .net development.

Do you have any suggestions as to developers who could build something to include the fields imported by the import utility and also additional fields? Or any other ideas?

Any experienced VB.NET or C# developer could whip it up for you in a couple of days once they are up to speed on the AyaNova API. Unfortunately I don’t have a list of developers I could point you to, the people I know are all doing it for their own applications or in-house use.

We have customers who have multiple locations with machines at each location and need to be able to have the different physical machine locations associated with said machines serial number. hahah…if that makes sense.

I understand completely.

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest most non technical one: Depending on how much data you’re talking about it might make a lot of sense to import them with the existing utility then hire a temp for a couple of days to enter in the addresses. The labor cost for a temp is a lot lower than for a developer and generally a lot lower than for most business people’s time to deal with the problem.

If we’re talking about tens of thousands of units though or something you need ongoing then it might make more sense to have a developer make something for you. If so, let us know.