Language

Hello,

Like what I see, but although my englisch isn’t that bad, for good handling
of all activities and planningin my business to start, I would like to see the
total iterface of this program in dutch.

Do you consider doing some translations in the near future or is there a
possibillity to get involved in translating your product. In short, when can
it be available in dutch?

Pls let me know some possibillities, thanks,

Hi Frehen

AyaNova v3 has the feature Localized Text Designer, where you can editany of the existing labels to display in Dutch, or any other language.

The AyaNova v3 Manualsection on the Administration navigation pane includes the section “Localized Text Designer” which provides details and walk throughs using this feature to localize the existing labels.

• Joyce

Thank you Joyce, for this quick reply.

In the meantime I checked out the feauture, but it’s quite a hassle.
E.g. Find and replace does not work the way it’s supposed to work,
meaning, when I click Find it does not go to the first field where it
finds the word “Client” as for example. It does not do it.
Than, I only tried this once to Find and replace Client for Klant (dutch).
That worked.

Still there would be to much work to custumize the whole program for me.
Think I have to pass this one. At least I’ve checked it out. Thanks for that
possibility.

BUT, maybe when you relase a dutch version in the future, I will check it again.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Fred

frehen (2/7/2006)Thank you Joyce, for this quick reply.

In the meantime I checked out the feauture, but it’s quite a hassle.
E.g. Find and replace does not work the way it’s supposed to work,
meaning, when I click Find it does not go to the first field where it
finds the word “Client” as for example. It does not do it.
Than, I only tried this once to Find and replace Client for Klant (dutch).
That worked.

Still there would be to much work to custumize the whole program for me.
Think I have to pass this one. At least I’ve checked it out. Thanks for that
possibility.

BUT, maybe when you relase a dutch version in the future, I will check it again.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Fred

Hello Fred, the find feature highlights all the localized text records that contain the word being found. What I’m guessing is that you want it to actually go to that word one by one? We anticipated that most people would be more interested in doing a find to get an idea of where there word in question is used so that they could decide if a find and replace is then appropriate or if they need to make a few individual modifications before doing a find and replace.

How would you like to see the ability to edit the localized text work? We are definitely open to suggestion on this area of the program, we’ve implemented something we think will work, but if it can be improved let us know.

I understand it would be much more convenient to have a pre-translated file you can simply import. That is our intention down the road. We’ve provided the ability for end users to localize it themselves if they are interested and the ability to export that to file and post it here for the benefit of others for languages that are not practical for us to have commercially translated.

We are considering the idea of having local distributors of our software in non-english speaking countries where it’s not practical for us to provide support. We envision a local distributor that takes on the task of translation and local technical support and shares in the profits of all sales to that country. It’s a fuzzy idea still at this point, something we’ve been considering but just haven’t had time to look at all the ramifications of yet.

Hello John,

Thanks for also taking the time to reply.

In specific cases, as translating it to dutch, one can almost never do a find and replace,
cause it would alter more wrong than good. So yes, one by one would be good, whichbtw,
is also suggested in the manual, I quote page 467 “You can of course use the Find option,
so that you can manually edit each individually”. Can’t get that to work over here.

I would suggest to let the program use an language.ini file or language.lang file or .lng.
It would be easier to translate and implement in the program. Now I do not know if that can be done as I am not a programmer. I did work for a softwarehouse and was business consultant for three years. Implementing our software with clients was also one of my tasks. If changes where due i could give those to the developpers who took care of it.

I also think, if considering to have local distibutors to take care of the translation and give local technical support, it would be appropriate to have a development-kit for that man or woman, with which it will be easier to translate and learn the program to be able to give support. As some languages do need more space for some words it would be handy if one could adjust it a bit without harming the looks of the program of course. Major changes should be reported back to you naturally, but small adjustments only nescesarry for the local translation could than be made.

Just some thoughts. Any way, I do not have the time to do a translation in the way it is presented now. It would be to time-consuming. I am starting with a project to get my own business. Hopefully I will be ready to open the doors to my doors a a half year’s time.
I will start a ICT Advice Buro. Advice with buying new pc, repair or re-installexcisting pc, give courses and more. My market will be home pc users, small businesses and schools.

There will be a lot to learn in that half year. If you could provide me a handy solution or development-kit in the future for translating and local technical support,I would be happy to think about that.

(manual: there are places in the manual where the bullits do not match due to images. If youwant I will check this out and repair that. If ok, pls provide me a way than where I can send the repaired manual)

Thanks for now. Kind regards,

Fred

frehen (2/7/2006)Hello John,

In specific cases, as translating it to dutch, one can almost never do a find and replace,
cause it would alter more wrong than good. So yes, one by one would be good, whichbtw,
is also suggested in the manual, I quote page 467 “You can of course use the Find option,
so that you can manually edit each individually”. Can’t get that to work over here.

Hi Fred, yes we fully understand that translation is far more than a search and replace. I’m curious though how you mean that the find feature is not working. I just double checked it and it appears to be working as it should. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with how it is implemented. It highlights all the records that contain the word being sought. I think what you may be suggesting is it would be useful if the find would go to each instance of the word being sought one at a time and highlight it so it can be edited in place? When we designed that feature we didn’t thinkgoing to each word for editing would be very useful since translation typically requires a lot more than just changing a single word which is why we implemented as we did. We thought it would be far more useful to see all the instances where the word is used to give a person an idea of how it is used in it’s context and to quickly locate and edit each instance as required.

I would suggest to let the program use an language.ini file or language.lang file or .lng.
It would be easier to translate and implement in the program.

I know exactly what you mean, that is a traditional way of providing a language file for a single user non-networked program, it’s not quite that easy when it comes to AyaNova. We deliberatly did not do it that way because there are cases where a large coporate user would want to be able to have more than one user using multiple languages with the same database and in if it’s not centralized in the database it can lead to confusion. We forsee a lot of people using the ability to edit the text of the program for more than just translation, for example a user might want to manage apartments and so rename the word “Unit” to “Apartment”. In a large decentralized network possibly spanning more than one country or continent separate .ini files would mean the users would have potentially many different versions of the translation or modified text leading to much confusion. Even in a small network if a user modifies the text it can carry through to the printed reports so if a single computer is missed in setting the language file to the most current version you could have some users printing reports with completely different text on them than others which can be bad if those reports are ultimately given to customers.

Perhaps if the locale file could be exported as xml or some other user editable format outside of AyaNova then re-imported back in that might be more in line with what you describe, but we would lean more towards improving the interface within the program for customization such as translation if there are ways to make it better since we believe that the one program should contain everything you need to customize it, much like it contains the report editor for customizing reports.

We know from experience users prefer and find it more convenientto do as much customization as possible within the program they are customizing.

As some languages do need more space for some words it would be handy if one could adjust it a bit without harming the looks of the program of course.

All the displayed fields in the program are set to display the entire width available in the panels they are contained in for just this reason. If a translation of the word “Client” takes up many more characters it should fit. It’s not apparent by looking at it but the displayed fields are actually the full width of any space they are contained in. In some cases there

Thanks John, you arekind. In the way that I am impressed with the way you handle your forums and all, it’s really impressive how Joyce and you, did not see more yet are handling all questions… seems you guys never stop… you both are always there to keep us customers satisfied. Now I know this is the way to do it, still it does not happen everywhere, so I want to give my compliments on this excellent service you both (and others perhaps) provide.

Sorry for not getting back earlier. I have a lot on my mind these days and not only business-wise. I like your remark on running your own business… rewarding or frustrating. Man the ideas I have are killing me as do the thoughts of if they are any good… hehe. Well, we’ll see abot that in the near future.

To get back at you first about the manual, meaning the word document, pls look at page 466/467. The bullets do not match. Some get behind the picyures shown and when moving the pics, they are blanc. Don’t know of more places in the document where this happens. Beside that I though it was because I opened it out of the zip-file. It’s not. Even when I open the unpacked document it occurs on these pages.

I am not ready now to provide any suggestions in the translation issue. Yes, maybe I am suggesting to let the Find function go to each individual find and have it translated there. Now I also realize that that’s no way to go handle this. So my suggetsions on an ini or maybe lng file are all that I can offer now.

As said, busy times are ahead of me getting me there to start my own business. I do not even know now if being a reseller or so can be part of my core-business. Although I do like the thought of it.

So yes, I want to ask you to keep me posted on any prgress you make on translation. Because I really do want to go and use your program. For now however I must choose for a less constructive way to handle my appointments in repair or services. Still, I have a lot to learn about marketing and how to handle my own business that I will be to busy to handle other tasks and challenges. Hope to be at your side some day soon to help Ayanova hit the dutch market even better than now.

Thanks, greetings, also to Joyce, and keep up the good work.
Hope to contact you again soon, but I don’t know how things are going to developpe over here.

Kind regards, Fred

Hi Fred, thank you for the information and the positive feedback on our support. We do try to keep as few people as possible answering the support questions to avoid continuity problems. When too many people are all replying they tend to not know the situation with the person requiring support previously and that information is generally very helpful in getting to the bottom of a problem as quickly as possible.

I’ll passthe bullet problem informationon to the documentation people.

Good luck with your business.