Minimum System Requirements

Good afternoon. I have a client that is considering purchasing AyaNova 3. They have an old IBM Server that they are considering using to host the software. It’sgot dual PII 400MHz processors with plenty of RAM and fast SCSI drives configured in a RAID5. They don’t have an OS yet, but I am thinking Windows 2000 Server. They’ll have about 10-15 licenses (i.e. Techs) and another 10-15 view only users. I would expect the number of concurrentaccesses to be much less than that on average.

My question is does the server have enough horsepower to handle the software?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

jfeichter (4/7/2006)Good afternoon. I have a client that is considering purchasing AyaNova. They have an old IBM Server that they are considering using to host the software. It’sgot dual PII 400MHz processors with plenty of RAM and fast SCSI drives configured in a RAID5. They don’t have an OS yet, but I am thinking Windows 2000 Server. They’ll have about 10-15 licenses (i.e. Techs) and another 10-15 view only users. I would expect the number of concurrentaccesses to be much less than that on average.

My question is does the server have enough horsepower to handle the software?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hi Jon

It mainly depends on the use put on it by the users, and the expectations of response of the users.

Yes, this PenII 400MHz computer may be usedas the database server, but will defintely respond to queries a lot slower than a computer withnewer processors and the same amount of memory and hard drive speed.

If the computer has a dual processor, it is recommended by Firebird themselves to not use the network Firebird 1.5 configuration asFirebird’s performance is hampered by a dual processor (refer to the AyaNova v3 manual section Performance Optimization for recommendations).

When using the SQL Server configuration, SQL Server will respond faster than Firebird, but SQL requires a lot more resources. Keep an eye on resources while in use to ensure no bottlenecks.

Microsoft states that the free SQL Express 2005 does not have a throttle like previous free versions of SQL Server, so by their statement could be used in that environment with up to 30 users.

I would encourage you to set up the computer with trial AyaNova in the network configuration you will be using, and confirm with users based on what they would be performing in AyaNova if the response meets their needs.

• Joyce

www.ayanova.com