More Import Utilities

With the release of the import parts, clients, and units out, are there any plans to import other info? For example, we are currently using an MS SQL 2000 database with an Access front end (Yuck!) and would like to bring our old data over to AyaNova for history on the client as well as searchability, using a much better interface, etc. I know this is something that we could probably have authored for us, but figured I would ask here first. We would be going from SQL to SQL, but the tables are different. I even thought of doing a backup of all data, changing the names of the fields in the old database to match where I want the data to end up in the AyaNova database, but my tables are even different.

Thanks for your consideration!

masonworks (5/22/2006)With the release of the import parts, clients, and units out, are there any plans to import other info? For example, we are currently using an MS SQL 2000 database with an Access front end (Yuck!) and would like to bring our old data over to AyaNova for history on the client as well as searchability, using a much better interface, etc. I know this is something that we could probably have authored for us, but figured I would ask here first. We would be going from SQL to SQL, but the tables are different. I even thought of doing a backup of all data, changing the names of the fields in the old database to match where I want the data to end up in the AyaNova database, but my tables are even different.

Thanks for your consideration!

Hello, what you are describing is certainly possible but the only safe way to do it is to use the developers API for AyaNova which makes this kind of thing safe and relatively simple.

Importing or touching the data directly in AyaNova 3 is absolutely and unequivocally dangerous and should never be done under any circumstances. Importing data directly without going through the business objects to do it will break multiple areas of the program, guranteed.

We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure we have a full developers api that is simple and easy to use and it is perfect exactly forthe task that you describe.

Importing through the business objects gives you all the power andprotection of the AyaNova user interface, it enforces business rules so no bad data can be imported that would break AyaNova(I.E. critical fields can’t be missing,data fields are stored in correct format and sizeand it ensures the interconnectedness of all objects in AyaNova). Because of the way it’s coded with all the logic and rules in the business object layer, we have coded all user interfaces with this in mind and they do little or no checking of data because it’s assumed that all data will be generated by the business objects themselves (via importing in program code or the user interface).

There is a forum dedicated tousing the developers APIon this support forum; complete with a quick start guide, what you need to know to use it, full instructions and sample projects for creating objects in AyaNova:

http://forum.ayanova.com/Forum101-1.aspx