networked startup problem

Hi Joyce,

I had attempted to get this running some time ago, then gave up on it as having Ayanova networked wasnt that big a deal. However, I do need to get it networked, and am having an issue on the final step.

First, I am following the directions from the online help documentation found @http://ayanova.com/AyaNova6webHelp/index.html

These are the steps I have been following:

1. Enable firewall port for Firebird Server
  2. Ensure network uses TCPIP for communication between computers and server
  3. Stand-alone AyaNova database and program is installed to server
  4. Move stand-alone AyaNova database to new location on server
  5. Network Firebird database server is installed and configured
  6. Configure and confirm access for the AyaNova program on the server to the database
  7. Configure and confirm access from network computers to networked database

I have made it through step 6, I can start the Ayanova program on the server and it loads the database. However, when I attempt step 7, I am able to do the network install of ayanova, but the network computers fail to connect to the server.

aliases=

List of known database aliases

------------------------------

Examples:

dummy = c:\data\dummy.fdb

AYANOVA = C:\Data\AYANOVA\AYANOVA.FDB

ayanova config:=
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>
<configuration>
<!-- Use a shared Firebird server, NOTE change the 192.168.1.100 below to your Firebird server’s actual IP Address -->
<ConnectionType>DataBase</ConnectionType>
<DataBaseType>FireBird</DataBaseType>

&lt;DataBaseConnectionString&gt;ServerType=0;DataSource=Alliance-PC;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=all7131;Dialect=3;&lt;/DataBaseConnectionString&gt;  &lt;/configuration&gt;

This is from the working Ayanova that is running on server…ie…help/about Ayanova

Technical information:
Machine name: ALLIANCE-PC

AyaNova Connection:
DataBase - ServerType=0;DataSource=Alliance-PC;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=all7131;Dialect=3;

OS user name: Brad
Networked: True
OS user domain name: Alliance-PC
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
System folder: C:\Windows\system32
CLR version: 2.0.50727.4211
Current directory: C:\Users\Brad\Desktop
Logical drives: C:\ D:\ 
Working set: 32313344
Primary monitor size: {Width=1440, Height=900}
Locale current culture: English (United States)
Locale currency symbol: $
Locale short date pattern: M/d/yyyy
Locale short time pattern: h:mm tt
Primary assembly: AyaNova 6.6.0.0
*** Business object assembly (GZTW.AyaNova.BLL.dll) Sub Version: 0 ***
Primary assembly location: file:///C:/Program Files/Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc/AyaNova/AyaNova.exe
	References:
	System.Windows.Forms 2.0.0.0
	mscorlib 2.0.0.0
	Microsoft.VisualBasic 8.0.0.0
	DevExpress.XtraReports.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	System 2.0.0.0
	System.Drawing 2.0.0.0
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinGrid.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinToolbars.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinEditors.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	Infragistics2.Win.Misc.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	GZTW.WinForm.Controls 6.6.0.0
	GZTW.AyaNova.BLL 6.6.0.0
	System.Data 2.0.0.0
	DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	Infragistics2.Win.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v9.2.Core 9.2.6.0
	DevExpress.Utils.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinTree.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinDock.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	log4net 1.2.9.0
	DevExpress.XtraBars.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinTabControl.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	CSLA 6.6.0.0
	AyaNova.PlugIn 6.6.0.0
	Infragistics2.Shared.v9.2 9.2.20092.1003
	CSLA.Core.Bindablebase 6.6.0.0
	DevExpress.XtraEditors.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	DevExpress.Data.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	SautinSoft.HtmlToRtf 3.0.8.16
	SautinSoft.RtfToHtml 3.0.0.37
	mscorlib 1.0.5000.0
	GZTW.Profile 6.6.0.0
	FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient 2.5.2.0
	System.Xml 2.0.0.0
	DevExpress.XtraPrinting.v9.2 9.2.6.0
	System.Core 3.5.0.0

Session information:
DBServer: FireBird
DBServer version: Unknown
User settings
User: Brad Jaeger
Language: English
TimeZone: (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
TimeZone override: None
UserType: Administrator
SubContractor: False
Region: ALL REGIONS
Global settings
Language: English
Use Notification services: True
CJK Index: False
Use inventory: True

and finally, here is the ayalog file from the networked machine that keeps failing to start:

Freshly installed log file line one[Header]
2011-05-17 16:26:58,732 [1476] INFO AyaNova.clsMain - AyaNova start - brief environment:
Machine name: ADMIN-PC

AyaNova Connection:
DataBase - ServerType=0;DataSource=Alliance-PC;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=all7131;Dialect=3;

OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
CLR version: 2.0.50727.4206
Primary assembly: AyaNova 6.6.0.0
Primary assembly location: file:///C:/Program Files/Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc/AyaNova/AyaNova.exe

2011-05-17 16:27:20,572 [1476] FATAL AyaNova.clsMain - First initialization and connect attempt
FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbException: Unable to complete network request to host “Alliance-PC”. —> Unable to complete network request to host “Alliance-PC”.
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnectionInternal.Connect()
at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnectionPool.Create()
at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnectionPool.CheckOut()
at FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnection.Open()
at GZTW.Data.GZTWDatabase.OpenConnection()
at GZTW.Data.GZTWDatabase.ExecuteReader(DBCommandWrapper command)
at GZTW.Data.FireBird.FireBirdDatabase.ExecuteReader(DBCommandWrapper commandWrapper)
at CSLA.Security.BusinessIdentity.DataPortal_Fetch(Object Criteria)

I figured that since I was able to get Ayanova to run on the server itself, but not from a separate machine on the network, that my router with its built in firewall was the problem. First I opened port 3050, no go. Next I tried an application rule with that port, no go. Finally, I put the server ip in the DMZ (no firewall at all) and same issue.

I have a feeling this is something simple I am missing, but just cannot see it.
thank you,
Brad

(ps…the previous time I attempted this, I was not able to get to step 6…had to remove all versions of .NET framework, clean registry, then install.)

Hi Brad

1. Turn off the firewall completely on the server (for testing purposes - this way you know for sure whether the issue is related to the firewall or not).
    Now run AyaNova on the networked computer - does it load successfully?

2. If not, still leave the firewall turned off (just to continue to make sure not an issue at this point of the troubleshooting).

What is the ip address of the server?

Edit the config.txt file on the server using the ip address of the server, and confirm can load.

Then edit the config.txt on networked computer using this same ip address and run AyaNova.

Can you now load AyaNova successfully on the networked computer?

1. If you can now load AyaNova successfully on the networked computer using the ip address of the server in the config.txt, now enable the firewall on the server, and run AyaNova again on the networked computer - so you can confirm whether your firewall is also set correctly.

Let me know.

• Joyce

That was it! I changed the naming convention from the servers name to its IP address, and worked first time.

For those that might run into this in the future, here is an example of the change:

DataBaseConnectionString>ServerType=0;DataSource=Alliance-PC;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=all7131;Dialect=3;</DataBaseConnectionString> </configuration>

change DataSource from computers NAME, to computers IP ADDRESS

DataBaseConnectionString>ServerType=0;DataSource=192.168.0.199;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=all7131;Dialect=3;</DataBaseConnectionString> </configuration>

That change right there fixed the problem. This change will need to be completed to the config.txt on your server(if you have ayanova installed on it) and all on workstations on the network that will attempt to connect to the networked Ayanova database. If you have followed the directions and have the Ayanova installer and config file in a shared folder for network installs, you will need to change it there as well. (please correct me if im wrong on any of that, but thats what worked for me)

thanks again Joyce!

You are very welcome Brad, thank you for posting back too.

Also, perhaps this wasn’t seen, the step 6.g for configuring AyaNova for network Firebird Server use http://www.ayanova.com/AyaNova7webHelp/network_firebird_server_config.htm does show using the IP address of the server in the config.txt file. Use of the server’s name is a possible alternative, but the example screenshot shown identifying the fields in the config.txt to edit shows the ip address of the server is used for the Datasource= section.

Glad to hear all resolved, and happy to help

• Joyce