**New auto calculating Quantity now in AyaNova 4**

Ihave searched through the forums and the documentation. I am looking for a way, if it exists, to enter the start and stop time and have my hours calculated for me. I thought that I had read there was a way to do this, or is it just in the wish list? The reason I ask is that our customers like us to list date and time, so we set them andthen we have to manually calculate hours too. Thanks

Hi

The AyaNova program does not automatically determine the amount of hours from the entered start and stop time.

The Service Rate Quantity field is manual entry - so that you can enter what you wish.

It is on the Wish List to look into providing such a feature. I’ll move this posting also to the Wish List area as well, so it is on the list.

• Joyce

Patiently wishing… http://forum.ayanova.com/Topic418-65-1.aspx

:smiley:

Bob

Hi Bob, the post you linked to is a completely different issue.

masonworks (10/11/2006)Ihave searched through the forums and the documentation. I am looking for a way, if it exists, to enter the start and stop time and have my hours calculated for me. I thought that I had read there was a way to do this, or is it just in the wish list? The reason I ask is that our customers like us to list date and time, so we set them andthen we have to manually calculate hours too. Thanks

Hi, how would you envision this working, we’ve considered this before and rounding is the issue here. You usually don’t want to bill out fractions of an hour smaller than a certain limit. Would you only be entering in start and stop times that equate to whole hours or 15 minute increments or 1 minute increments?

I.E. if you enter 10:02am to 12:53pm what should be filled in for hours, round up to three, 2.85?

Or would the system just leave it up to the user to enter a correct start and stop time and take whatever is entered caculate the number of minutes between the two times and divide by 60, with no rounding? (that’s the simplest and quickest for us to code)

I would like to see the Start and Stops times be automatically calculated, the total calculated time be automatically entered in the Service Rate Quantity field, an override option if a user prefers to manually adjust the Rate Quantity, make the calculation be a running total similar to the Start/Stop feature in the Quick-Workorders in CE, and have the total time rounded to a user selectable increment set in the Global Settings area.

I know this is a tall order but I believe it would cover all time calculation wishes I have seen raised here, and it would be icing on the cake.

Just about every service business I’ve seen has some type of minimum time billing. 15 Minutes seems to be the most common but if it a Global Setting was available users could choose to their own preferences instead of having the rounding increment hard-coded into the program.

For years we used Excel for calculating billing rates just the way I have outlined above. I would be glad to contribute the formulas if they could be of any benefit.

Thanks,
Bob

John (11/21/2006)[quote]masonworks (10/11/2006)Ihave searched through the forums and the documentation. I am looking for a way, if it exists, to enter the start and stop time and have my hours calculated for me. I thought that I had read there was a way to do this, or is it just in the wish list? The reason I ask is that our customers like us to list date and time, so we set them andthen we have to manually calculate hours too. Thanks

Hi, how would you envision this working, we’ve considered this before and rounding is the issue here. You usually don’t want to bill out fractions of an hour smaller than a certain limit. Would you only be entering in start and stop times that equate to whole hours or 15 minute increments or 1 minute increments?

I.E. if you enter 10:02am to 12:53pm what should be filled in for hours, round up to three, 2.85?

Or would the system just leave it up to the user to enter a correct start and stop time and take whatever is entered calculate the number of minutes between the two times and divide by 60, with no rounding? (that’s the simplest and quickest for us to code)[/quote]

Like one of the other members suggested, it would be nice if the rounding option could be set in the global settings. Giving options of: Rounding: None 5 Minutes 15 Minutes

We use 15 minute increments in all our contracts, so the time examples you have shown would be 3 hours. BUT, our techs have enough experience to know to enter their time in the already “corrected” format. So if one of our techs arrived at 10:02am, he would enter 10:00am as the time of arrival. If he completed at 12:53pm, he would enter 01:00pm as the time of completion. We are already doing that now. (To avoid any confusion since the time shows up on the printed work order) Bottom line, any calculation is better than entering the start and stop times AND then having to enter the number of billable hours too. THANK YOU for your consideration!

While we are on the subject of time…Is there a way to default the stop date/time to the same day as the start date/time? For example,October 30th and 31st were the start of the last week of October. When the techs would go to enter the time for the week, they would have to type in the whole date/time string or click the calendar button, click the back one month button, then select the date. It would be really slick ifwhen they entered the start time of, for example, 10/30/06 09:00am the stop time would default to 10/30/06 10:00am insteadof current date/time. I know it sounds petty, but you have no idea how many times a tech has forgotten that and a customer sees it and gets all nervous that a tech was in their building for 24 hours. :hehe:Thanks again!

Hi

Regarding your last paragraph about the default stop date/time to the same day as the start date/time - the LaborStart defaults to todays date with the time right now with the Stop defaulting to an hour later- this is a feature for those that are entering in labor right at that minute.

So if we changed so that Labor entries havethe stop date/time defaults to an hour past what is entered in the start date/time, that would mean the present feature would no longer be available.

That would mean taking away an existing feature that many AyaNova users are using.

I’m not sure if it is possible to have both features active in the same field (default to todays date/time, as well as if the Start is changed that the Stop changes also) - but we will look into it.

• Joyce

Thanks for the response Joyce! I understand what you are saying, I appreciate you looking into this! I would like to add that I also posted on another thread: http://forum.ayanova.com/Topic418-65-1.aspx If the option were available to use the start and stop time as a timer or by manual entry, this would be eliminated. Thanks again!

Hope this will be added soon! would be great to have the time calculated automatically.:slight_smile:

Thank you!

NEW AyaNova 4 feature:

In a workorder,the travel, labor and scheduled user Quantity fields are all filled in automatically on a change of start or stop time - filled in relation to hours.

-Enter in the Start Date & Time
-AyaNova automatically enters the Stop Date & Time an hour later for you as a time saving feature and enters the Quantity as 1
-If you than edit the Stop Date & Time and tab to the next field, AyaNova will automatically re-calculate the Quantity based on the difference between Stop and Start for you

Note that a change to Quantity can still be done manually to override as long as it’s done after Start and Stop time entry. Calculation will use 2 decimal places and round using bankers rounding (midpoint rounding away from zero).