New Install FB to MSSQL app not working

When running the Firebird to MSSQL utility it hangs at 1%. When testing the connections to the FDB file and MSSQL it gives the green light. It appears to create the MSSQL database, but then gets stuck migrating.

I’m using Windows 2003 R2 and SQL Express 2005. I’ve followed the instructions o nthe help file to the letter.

Thanks,

Gary

NetCare (9/10/2008)When running the Firebird to MSSQL utility it hangs at 1%. When testing the connections to the FDB file and MSSQL it gives the green light. It appears to create the MSSQL database, but then gets stuck migrating.

I’m using Windows 2003 R2 and SQL Express 2005. I’ve followed the instructions o nthe help file to the letter.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary, unfortunately if you are getting this issue, this means something is not quite right. Either there is a step missing, or the connection strings entered are not correct, or there is something with your SQL that is preventing the database from being created, such as your SQL server computer is overloaded or does not have enough hard drive space or something else. By confirming each step that you have done, and providing specific details on exactly what is your setup and what you are doing, we can help identify what the issue is a cause of. It is always recommended to double-check your steps, andnotassume - many support requests are unfortunately because an AyaNova user is positive that they have done all the steps, but then it turns out one or two was not. And to defintely be able to help you troubleshoot, do providespecifics, as it allows us to help figure out what exactly the issue is.

Let’s first confirm the steps you have performed for the networked AyaNova withSQL Express :

1. What is your SQL Express computer’s name? And what is its internal IP address?

2. Confirm that AyaNova was installed locally to this SQL Server as per step #2 of the networked AyaNova SQL Express steps (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova)

3. Are you using the latest version of AyaNova - what version of AyaNova are you using? Log into AyaNova, select menu Help -> About AyaNova.

4. Make sure you are exited out of AyaNova program and that no other AyaNova related programs are running when you are attempting to do the AyaNova SQL database creation via the ToMSSQL utility (for example, if you had installed the network Generator make sure it is shut down in services; or if had installed the Data Portal that the Default Web Site and its AyaNovaDP site are shut down; or if installed one of the other programs, that they definitely are not running)

5. Confirm that SQL Express is also installed on this computer and that it is running as per step #3 in the SQL Express steps in (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova) , and that the protocols identified are enabled, and that the Surface Area Configuration is set as it states. I know this may seem like a weird thing to check, but this was actually the issue with another AyaNova user who did not have SQL Express even installed on the computer.

6. Confirm the exact path wherethe AyaNova database file AYANOVA.FDB islocaled on this server. As per the stand-alone installations stated to do in step #2 on this server, the AyaNova installation installs to the %AllUsersProfile%\AyaNovaData folder which is different depending on your OS - On a Vista computer, %AllUsersProfile% is usually C:\ProgramData\ whereas on 2000 or XP or 2003 computer, %AllUsersProfile% is usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. Confirm exactly where the AYANOVA.FDB database file is on this SQL computer.

7. Enterin the Firebird database connection string: field and provide here exactly what you enter

8. Enter in the Microsoft SQL database connection string: and provide here exactly what you enter

9. Select the Open database connection. Does it precisely give you the message “Connections are good. You can now migrate data.”? If not, be sure to provide the exact text it gives. Leave this open while you do the next step.

10. Open y

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for the response. Due to time restrictions (a lot of software to try, not much time to do it!) I opted to try it using Firebird 2.0. This is working nicely for now so I will use this for testing. If we decide to purchase though I will certaintly like to get it working with SQL.

I’m 99% sure I followed all the steps, but as you said there could be something I missed. The server is a completely fresh sytem, installed just for this purpose.

No problem - you will get the same features if using the network Firebird Server configuration instead of SQL Express. And when you are ready to set up AyaNova with SQL Express again, do let me know if you encountered the same issue, and if so, do send the details so we can figure this out together

• Joyce

www.ayanova.com