One line report for a service workorder that contains data from labor, parts, etc

Can anyone please supply the data base schema to enable us to write reports in crystal,
because dev express is hopelessly inadequate and inflexable.
Thanks…
ABSCON

abscon (8/28/2008)Can anyone please supply the data base schema to enable us to write reports in crystal,
because dev express is hopelessly inadequate and inflexable.
Thanks…
ABSCON

Your experience is not typical with the built in report designer.We very carefully selected it out of all options available at the time because among other things it fully supports .net and C# behind the report allowing for things that are just not possible with Crystal Reports or it’sprogramming “language” for reports.

Nearlyevery time when people say it won’t do something it turns out it can but they have just not contacted support or posted a question about it in the reporting forum. I’m sure you would ask first before saying it’s hopelessly inadequate so I’d like to know exactly what it won’t do and what support told you about it because it might be something I can request of DevExpress if it doesn’t do it already. If you haven’t asked in detail yet of support or in the reporting forum I encourage youto do so and potentially avoid a lot ofunecessary hassle.

There is no database schema document, we’ve gone to great lengths to ensure no one has to touch the database directly as it wasthe number onesource of problems requiring technical support and causing dowtime for users when they made modifications tothe database outside ofthe original AyaNova CE application.

Hi Again,

Thanks for your quick reply…

My point is that in Dev Express I cannot get all the necessary details in one line as Dev Express seems to want to break it into sections.

In Crystal Reports I can design a report with all the necessary details I need into one line. Also I can add fields to the report whereas in Dev Express I can only select from fields that are presented to me.

I really like the Ayanova application, it does most things we need (being a service maintenance provider company). I will add later to the wish list with some practical wishes for the program.

If Dev Express would allow you to choose from the entire list instead of sections it would be more beneficial to us and other users. I have read in the fourm that with Crystal Reports you can run one report and now with Dev to get the one report you have to run three. Aside from that the Dev is not exactly user friendly.

Thanks

Abscon

Hi Abscon

I am going to move this from theDevelopment / SDK / API forum section to the Reporting/Printing section, and then reply back. Do give me time to reply before replying yourself.

• Joyce

Hi Abscon
The post I believe you are referring to is about an AyaNova user that wants to have a report run from one of the subgrids like Labor, but that he wants the Labor report to also include data from other grids such as Parts and Travel.

Each of the “sub” grids in the Service Workorder grid is for a specific section of the workorder - Labor provides data from the labor records (plus from that labor’s workorder item and workorder); Parts provides data from the parts records (plus from that labor’s workorder item and workorder) etc

Because Part and Travel datafields are not available from the Labor grid, he can not have a report from the Labor grid that includes Parts and Travel datafields as well as Labor datafields. But DO NOTE that he CAN have the report such as this from the Service Workorders grid using a Detailed report template as a detailed report template from the Service Workorder grid provides access to all of the datafields from all areas of the workorder.

And NOTE that you CAN have all data in one line from a detailed report template from the Service Workorders grid - for example you want a report that shows in one line all the parts used in a workorder identifying the workorder number, client name, the part, the Net value and the tech that performed the service:

In the detailed report template from the Service Workorder grid, all the fields you want to show in one line would be placed within the Band for Parts - the WorkorderItemWorkorderItemPart band
See the attached Example one line detailed report template from Service Workorders grid
Open this report template in the report designer so that you can follow along and see where the datafields are placed and where they were taken from
In the Parts Detail band, I have the Workorder datafield (as there is only ever one of this in a workorder) - click on it and view the Fields tab and you can see where this datafield was taken from
The Client field (as there is only every one of this in a workorder)- click on it and view the Fields tab and you can see where this datafield was taken from
The tech name that performed the service from the Labor dataset (again - this report will only work correctly if you only have one Labor record) - click on it and view the Fields tab and you can see where this datafield was taken from
and the Part and its Net value datafields
Preview the report in the report designer - all records are one line
Again, you CAN have all data on one line in this scenerio if you have only one Labor record because the reporting engine is only taking the first labor record and displaying its data.

Do note that where it gets tricky, (and this was the same with Crystal Reports with the very old version of AyaNova CE) is the above is not a report you can use if you had multiple Labor records in a workorder (i.e. two or more techs had entered records about the service they performed). This is because you are identifying to the report designer that you want the report based on the parts in the workorder - list all parts for the workorder and its client and the tech that performed the service - so it only takes the first instance of the first tech record from the Labor details.

Do review that example report template that is attached. If you have any questions, do let me know - do be sure to attach a copy of your custom report template, as well as specifics on what datafields from the workorder or specific field in your report template, as well as the scenerio of what records are in your workorder(s).

• Joyce

Also do check out the new example report template such as Example-report-showing-grand-total-on-single-line-useful-for-exporting-too