printing Quotes

I am running SQL, I had the software running great. When I updated to 3.2.3 I lost the ability to print my Quotes and receive this error.I get this error no matter what reportI try and print from the Quotes window only, and doesn’t matter ifI start with a new qoute or one that was created previously. I looked threw the forums and found that no one else is having this trouble but not sure where to start looking for the issue. I have updated to the latest version 3.2.4 but getting the same results.

Unhandled Exception:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Stack Trace:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at CSLA.Server.DataPortal.CallMethod(Object obj, String method, Object[] params)
at CSLA.Server.DataPortal.Fetch(Object Criteria, DataPortalContext context)
at CSLA.DataPortal.Fetch(Object Criteria)
at GZTW.AyaNova.BLL.WorkorderQuoteDetailedReportData.GetItem(Guid WorkorderID)
at AyaNova.WorkorderForm.(Object , ToolClickEventArgs )
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ListTool.set_SelectedItemIndex(Int32 value)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ListTool.DoDefaultActionForItem(Int32 itemIndex)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ListToolMenuItem.OnClick()
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
*** Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)<

Hi

A similar error occurred posted in topic Detailed-Template (search for timeout expired) I am trying to find his post where he posted what he did with the SQL Server that resolved his timeout errors - I have contacted him asking what was his resolution in this instance.

The message you are receiving is due to a timeout - the query to obtain the data for the report is timing out possibliy due to the amount of data, or due to a bottleneck on the server or an issue with the program files on your computer.

Please provide a copy of your About AyaNova information - to double check all files are up to date. Log into AyaNova on the server itself where the database resides, select menu Help -> About AyaNova, copy all text to a NotePad document, save and attach to your reply (attachments can be txt or zip extensions only on this forum)

Than let’s narrow down the window of troubleshooting first and go from there:

Still logged in on the server itself (so not adding additonal possibilities to troubleshooting) how many records are being displayed in the Quotes grid in the Quotes navigation pane when this error occurs?

Troubleshooting by displaying only one record in the Quotes grid, and select a summary report template - does the error occur?

Troubleshoot by displaying only one record in the Quotes grid and select a detailed report template - does the error occur?

Do the same but select to create a new Sumary Report Template, and do the same but select to create a new Detailed Report Template

Now move to the Quotes navigation pane Items grid - do the same, does the error occur with the same selections?

• Joyce

Joyce,

I have the informaiton you requested. I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps and come up with one thing being decisive. Any report that has detailed report throws the time out error. I have attached a copy of the config that you wanted.

Hi

Are you saying any detailed report from any grid returns the timeout error? Or only a detailed report from the Quotes grid in the Quotes navigation pane returns the timeout error?

Please confirm if this occurs in Service Workorders grid, Quotes -> Items grid, etc - or only in a specific grid.

How many records are displaying in the grid when the error occurs?

Have you tested with only one record displaying in this grid and selecting to create a new Detailed report? What is the result?

How many records are displaying in the grid when you experience this issue?

Are you using SQL Express or SQL Server?

Are you troubleshooting on the server itself where the database resides or on a networked computer?

• Joyce

hello

Well now that you bring up that point you are right that it is happening on the workorder side of the grid. I have not had to use the detailed report on the workorder side in some time but it seems to be suffering the same fate.

how many records? I have tried both one and multiples.

happens with std default detailed reports or when you click on new.

using SQL Server 2000

troubleshooting on the server it self.

Hi again

I am able to reproduce the error butonly if the grid is not filtered would a timeout error occur.

For example, I have a database here with over 5000 workorders.

If I open the Service Workorders grid with No Filter selected in the Filter Drop List, and First 100 rows selected, and I select the generic Sample Detailed Service Workorder with Grand Total report template (a detailed type reprot template) I will get a timeout error.

If instead I make a filter to only show records for the last day, resulting in displaying only two records, save this filter, and than select the detailed report, no timeout error.

Or if instead I make a filter to only show records since January 2006, save the filter, select to show All Rows, and select the detailed report - no timeout occurs.

Can I get you to perform exactly the following:

1. In the Service Workorders grid in the Service navigation pane, select to filter so that you are only showing a couple records. Save this filter. Now select the Detailed Service Workorder with Grand Total report template - does it display correctly?

2. Now reset back to No Filter, and select the same report template - the error occurs doesn’t it?

3. Now make a new filter to show workorders so you get quite a few (100+), save this filter, and than select the same report template again - does the error occur?

• Joyce

hello,

in workorders i can get this to work by narrowing the search down. one thing that did come up is no matter how broad or narrow the search is when using “new detailed report template” I receive this error from the workordergrid. on the quotes grid, it happens ever time.

Hi

How many quote records are displaying in the Quotes grid in the Quotes navigation pane when you get this error attempting to create a new detailed report template for Quotes?

• Joyce

well,

one or a grand total of eight, really doesn’t matter it happenswhen configured with either view. I have also tried different variations.

Hi again

Another thing I have noticed, I created a saved filter that ended up displaying 1691 records (that workorders since January 2006 I refer to above), - when I first ran that report - I got the report 8 minutes later (2500+ pages)with no errors.

But if I than create a saved filter of 4000 records, and attempt to print that, I do get the time out error.

If I than re-select that saved filter that displays 1691 records and try to print that again, I get the time out error as well, even though initially I didn’t get that error.

But if I select Ignore, select a different saved filter that is only showing 120 records, display that print previous successfully, and than select that saved filter for 1691 records, the print preview of 2596 pages successfully displays.

And if I directly after select a different saved filter of 1646 records, I get the timeout error again.

But if I select the saved filter of 120 records in between each of the filters that result in a large amount of data, the print preview is successful.

And interestingly as well, the amount of time to return the print preview takes less time if I select a saved filter of smaller amount of data in between a saved filter that returns a large amount of data. Took only3 minutes to return a report on 1646 records if I do it in between a successful print preview of 120 records (which took about 10 - 20 seconds)

It’s like SQL Server needs to have a successful print preview - in this case querying for small amount of data, in between querying for a large amount of data to successfully print preview the large amount of data.

• Joyce

what I find strange is that this issue did not arrise for me until I updated to the 3.2.3. I will say that my previous version before I ran the full upgrade was 3.1.4(the previous working ver.). I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of the latest version 3.2.3, but still have the same issue.

Hi again

Are you able to reboot your SQL Server computer, and than log back into AyaNova, print a summary report template in Quotes, and than select to create a new detailed report template?

I’ve got eight quotes set up here in a test SQL Server database, but no errors where filtered or not with just that many. Rebooting may “refresh” the SQL Server so we can than see what is actually happening.

We posted at the same time, so I have edited this reply to include your observation above:

v3.1.4 did not include the Filtering Drop List and saved filter ability. The grids were completely rewritten to allow for this.

• Joyce

I saw that as a new feature but that isalso whenI noticed this error occuring. So when you setup your sql test box start first with that version and quotes in that version then upgrade.

Hi again

Its totally different now with the Filter Drop List and the saved filter ability - yes I do understand that the issue did not previously occur with v3.1.4 but v3.1.4 did not have all the additional code etc to allow for saved filters and the Filter Drop List feature, as well as v3.1.4 requiring Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 whereas v3.2.4 requires Microsoft.NET Framework 2. They are two totally different versions with totally different specs.

Have yourebooted the server as suggested for troubleshooting?

• Joyce

Yes,

the server was rebooted and I am getting the same result.

Hi

Rebooting the SQL Server, directly opening AyaNova, and directly attempting to print a Quotes detailed report template on 8 or less records does now lead me to your SQL Server itself and/or your SQL AyaNova database. As the SQL Server is in esscense “fresh” because nothing else on it has yet run, getting the timeout right away on so little records does indicate something additional here with your SQL Server itself and/or your data.

Please provide the following information:

Confirm that the latest service patches for SQL Server 2000 are applied

What is the operating system being used with this SQL Server 2000 and are all service patches applied.

What else is running on this computer in addition to SQL Server?

Is there more than one database being run by this SQL Server - other than AyaNova, is there anything being run by this SQL Server?
In the Properties for this SQL Server 2000, is memory set to be used dynamically or is a fixed amount of memory in to be used
What is the maximum concurrent user connecitons set to
In a separate direct email to support@ayanova.com or attach to a private message to me via this forum, provide the following:

Zip up a backup of your SQL Database files (use a full backup or shut down SQL Server, and zip up the two files AyaNova.mdf and AyaNova_log.LDF)

Zip up a copy of your AyaNova.exe.config file

Provide the AyaNova Administrator username and password
I will than identfiy if I get the same timeout on Quotes using your data and go from there

• Joyce

Hi

I was hoping that you would be sending the requested information so that I may help troubleshoot.

Please provide the information above, and also - please provide what is the size of your AyaNova.mdf file and the AyaNova_log.LDF file (The AyaNova SQL database and log file).

• Joyce

I have resolved this issue. The problem was in the database it self. I ran SQL database optimization against the database, which reorganized and re-indexed data.

Recommendations

any one running SQL setup a maintenance plan on the database, depending on the size and usage run once a week or monthly (excluding backup which should be run nightly). If you experience issues like mine, they could be quickly and easily resolved by database planning.

If you are using MSDE setting this up may be a little more involved. There are a number of free MDSE managers that will help with this routine maintenance plan.

For those using SQL Express, I’ve posted a link to a site where you can obtain a utility and instructions on how to perform this with SQL Express at http://forum.ayanova.com/Topic1921-100-1.aspx

With licensed SQL Server, easiest to use the Maintenance Wizard, select to reorganize and reindexand schedule it to re-occur on a regular basis.