Small Business Server (SBS) 2003

I’m getting ready to run the evaluation demo, but wanted to check first to see if it’s OK to install on host a SBS 2003 (which has either MSDE or full SQL database integrated, depending on version).

thanks,

John

Hi John

AsSBS 2003 ismainly the Windows operating system 2003 with some extras- YES -AyaNova is compatible with Windows 2003 as well as Windows XP and 2000 (all three should have all latest updates and patches from Microsoft applied).

We don’t use SBS 2003 here, so not quite sure what all has been pre-installed or pre-configured on SBS 2003.

I do know that the SQL Server that comes with SBS 2003 isn’t the full blown SQL Server Enterprise, so there may be some SQLlimitations (how many SQL users can connect, hardware restrictions, etc) that you will want to check with Microsoft on relating to SQL Server.

When you install AyaNova 3, it by defaults installs for stand-alone single computer use.

Refer to the AyaNova v3 Manual from http://www.ayanova.com/download.htm for detailed step-by-step instructions to confiugre for network use - either network Firebird Server, networked SQL Express 2005, or networked SQL Server.

I also do invite you to review the forum section on AyaNova v3 Installation & Configurationas there are pinned topics of common issues (disable firewall for port, ensure service patches applied, etc).

And if any additional questions, do let us know.

• Joyce

Thank you. Yes, SBS is a pre-bundled deal with Server 2003, Exchange, Sharepoint, etc and some easy administration tools, and some customized differences from standard versions of the same.

I figure it will work fine on SBS, just wanted to check there are no known issues. I think we are going to run the Premium version with regular SQL server (not MSDE) and us the manager tools so I can do scheduled maintenance which might be helpful.

Thanks for the links. I started reading through the manual last night. I’m hopeful for this program to meet our needs.

John

Good to hear John

Let us know if questions.

• Joyce

another question:

when we buy the licenses, can I start out in a new blank database, or do I have to “flush” the demo data? I saw somewhere a script or something to remove the demo data, but would it be better to start blank?

also, we are going to start with one license (for our tech) but I might end up needing to be included on the schedule, is it a easy matter to upgrade the licenses?

Probably covered in the manual (which is good, by the way) but I have only had time so far to just skim parts of it.

looks like we are going to go with AyaNova.

JF

Hi again JF

Great to hear!

when we buy the licenses, can I start out in a new blank database, or do I have to “flush” the demo data? I saw somewhere a script or something to remove the demo data, but would it be better to start blank?

When AyaNova is licensed, in the same location where you will be entering the keycode(menu option Help -> License) is the menu selection to Erase Entire AyaNova Database which you can use to erase all data entered into the database - sample data and any data you have entered to date.

Or you can manually delete individual records you do not want - i.e. delete sample workorders by opening each and selecting delete, open the Rates grid and delete rates you do not want, etc

Totally up to you what you want to do. If you have entered a lot of data already, you may find it faster to just delete data you don’t want. Or if you have just been entering some, it may be best to start completely “fresh” with a blank database.

also, we are going to start with one license (for our tech) but I might end up needing to be included on the schedule, is it a easy matter to upgrade the licenses?

Yes - very straight forward. Additional licenses are ordered exactly the same as your first order.

When you first order a license via the link at http://www.ayanova.com/purchase.htm this is via ShareIT our payment processing partner. You are sent an order confirmation reference number from ShareIT, and from us will besent the AyaNova v3 Activation Key for the number of licenses purchasedvia email with instructions to apply to the trial.

You can order additional licenses at any time by ordering via the same link at http://www.ayanova.com/purchase.htm again - and during the order process for additional licenses just enter where indicated the text ADD-ON and your previous ShareIT reference order number. You will than be sent a replacement activation key that will include the total of all licenses purchased to apply. If you have any questions at that time, just let me know.

• Joyce

This program is enormous! I had no idea is was this in-depth. I’m looking for a workorder/sales/service system for our “PC repair shop” (which is actually a new retail extension to our commercial services). I hated all the regular POS software I looked at, although there are some simpler products out there. This looks great. I’m just a little timid about the complexity of it, we’re trying to get going “fast”. But, honestly I haven’t had much time to get going into it deeply. I started out originally building my own web based app using mysql/php but decided to just search for a ready-made system rather than spending what could be months finishing my own. This thing looks robust. I’ll probably “unlock” it with a license in the next couple days and get to work customizing the forms etc. I don’t know if we will use all the features right away, but nice to know things are covered in there.

By the way, from what I read the QB integration only works with the locally installed desktop versions of QB, right? We are using the online variation. That’s ok. It would be nice to not need double entry, but that’s really the point for us having two systems anyway-- one for “techs” and jobs, and the other for “bosses” and additional money stuff not related to work orders. Example we will probably use the Detailed Service Order with Grand Total for our invoices for customers.

By the way, I upgraded our SBS standard to the Premier with the regular SQL and did the TOMSSQL per instructions and all is well. I set up a Maintenance Plan in Enterprise Manager to do a daily complete backup nightly M-F and a hourly transaction log backup during working hours, as well as a weekly integrity check and optimization.