Space between fields when there are more than one of the same type.

I have template in which I am using “workorder item type.” I only placed one field on the template, but noticed that I when have multiple “workorder item types” in my quote, the form will automatically list each one separately. That is good. Now I want to know how I can adjust the space between each one that is automatically created. I have attached the template to this post.

Hello

Not sure I understand what you mean by “Now I want to know how I can adjust the space between each one that is automatically created.

I am assuming you mean between each workorder item that prints?

A suggestion would be to use your mouse to drag the lower band lower if desired, and then as a “place holder” put a Line control at the bottom

so that if you have more than one workorder item, the Line control maintains the space

• Joyce

Yes, I meant how do I adjust the space between each workorder item that prints? Using your screen shots, lets say I have multiple workorder items for HP/Proliant DL320. In my report, each workorder item would show up as I wanted, but the vertical spacing between the two is pretty far apart. I want to shorten that spacing. I would prefer to not use a line in between each workorder item so that i can show the workorder item as belonging to the unit listed above it. If it is not possible, then I will try a different format.

On a side note, I am curious how you were able to get multiple Units in one quote? I was under the impression that each unit must have a unique workorder. I got that impression by reading this post:

On a side note, I am curious how you were able to get multiple Units in one quote? I was under the impression that each unit must have a unique workorder. I got that impression by reading this post:

A unit is selected in a workorder item.

As a workorder can have multiple workorder items, than each workorder item of that workorder can have a unit selected.

Just like a service workorder, a quote can have multiple workorder items - and each of those workorder items can have a different unit selected.

See also the AyaNova 5 Help file section on workorder items (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova)

Yes, I meant how do I adjust the space between each workorder item that prints? Using your screen shots, lets say I have multiple workorder items for HP/Proliant DL320. In my report, each workorder item would show up as I wanted, but the vertical spacing between the two is pretty far apart. I want to shorten that spacing.

Do note that you still have the pnlUnit panel control in there from one of the sample report templates, and its script is specially forcing the height of the Detail1 band.

Do the following to remove it:

1. Move those two fields off of the pnlUnit field for now

1. Delete that pnlUnit field

2. Now if you Preview, you will get a bunch of errors which tell you that there were commands in a script for the ReportHeaderBand1 and for the Detail1 band that you now have to edit as you no longer have pnlUnit there

3. Click on the ReportHeaderBand1 band to select it, and open its Scripts property for Before Print

4. Delete the two lines about pnlUnit in this Before Print script for the ReportHeaderBand1 so that they are no longer called

(original script)

(script after you edit it - after you deleted the first line and the fifth line)

1. Click on the Detail1 band to select it, and open its Scripts property for Before Print

2. As this whole script is about the pnlUnit, you can just delete everything

(original script)

(script after you delete everything)

1. Move those two fields using your mouse back to position where you want them to be

2. Now what is in that Detail1 band will no longer be affected by those scripts and pnlUnit. So if you now click on Preview, you will see how everything is spaced based on the way you have it laid out

3. If you want the veritical height between two workorder items to be less, use your mouse then to move the fields, and make the band height not as high

As report template design is not provided as part of AyaNova support, I do encourage you to use your mouse, try things out, check the Properties of fields and bands, refer to other sample report templates, refer to other posts in this sectionas you get comfortable with making report templates, and play. We have many examples in this forum, as well as more sample report templates in addition to those provided with AyaNova 5. Also check out the tutorial How do I…"s in the AyaNova 5 Help file. And highly recommending just trying - if you have made a mistake in design, you can always Undo, oras long as you have a backup made of your report template, you can always delete the report template you are working in, import your copy and start again. We also provide custom report template design - see the topic <A href="http://f

Joyce,

Thank you for your help. I have been doing my best at reviewing the forums and templates. I am still unclear on a few things. In the template that I attached, I am trying to figure our why the label “Item Submitted for Repair” appears multiple times if I have multiple workorder types for a unit. I was able to get the unit itself to stop appearing multiple times by selecting 'no" under “process duplicates.” If I do the same for the label next to it(Item submitted for repair), nothing changes. I want the quote to show the unit, followed by the workorder item types related to that unit. I played around with the line breaks but that did nothing to make the label from not appearing and ended up just placing a line after each workorder item type.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

Item submitted for repair: Unit#1

Repair needed: Workorder item type#1

Repair needed: Workorder item type#2

Item submmitted for repair: Unit #2

Regarding your comment about the script being left over from the sample quote, is the only purpose of that script to keep that detail1 band the same size on the page? If so, then I don’t mind the script being there as I think it looks nice.

This quote is most likely the only report I will be issuing externally. I intend to purchase the QBI module and do invoicing through quickbooks. So if I can just get through this one then we are set.

Hi again

Item submitted for repair: Unit#1
Repair needed: Workorder item type#2

Item submmitted for repair: Unit #2

I think the misunderstanding is arising because of a misunderstanding of what is tied to each workorder item in this quote. Cause to me it sounds like from your example above, you actually have three workorder items in this quote

Open the quote entry screen.

Click on the firstworkorder item row, and then click on the Unit subsection - that is the specific unit selected for THAT workorder item (the one you called Unit #1). And you have ONE Workorder Item Type (what you wrote asType #1)for THAT workorder item.

If you have a second workorder item row, that is a completely new workorder item with its own selected Workorder Item Type (what you wrote as Type #2)

If you have a third workorder item row, that is another completely new workorder item with its own selected Workorder Item Type (Type #1) and its own selected unit (what you wrote above as Unit #2)

So if you have a report template for this quote that is to show data from each workorder item, then it will do just that - it will show data from the first workorder item, show data for the second workorder item and show data for the third workorder item.

I am trying to figure our why the label “Item Submitted for Repair” appears multiple times if I have multiple workorder types for a unit. I was able to get the unit itself to stop appearing multiple times by selecting 'no" under “process duplicates.” If I do the same for the label next to it(Item submitted for repair), nothing changes.

You can not have multiple Workorder Item Types for a single unit. The way the report template reads the data is:

first workorder item - its Workorder Item Type - its unit selected if any

second workorder item -its Workorder Item Type selected - its unit selected if any

third workorder iem - its Workorder Item Type selected - its unit selected if any

The label where you have the text “Item Submitted for Repair” is just that - a label. It is not data, so setting the property Process Duplicates for it won’t affect it as it is not actual data.

Do the following so that I can see exactly what data is in your quote so that may help me understand more and then with that and you rin formation above, I may understand more

Download the attached file, extract, import into your AyaNova, open your quote that has these workorder items as per the example you set above, Print selecting the Copy of Sample Detailed Quote you just imported, clickon File -> Export Document -> select PDF, save to a file and then zip that file up and attach to your reply.

Hi again

Actually I just double-checked again, and if you set a text label’s Process Duplicates to Suppress, it DOES NOT display that label again in the report when previewing.

So not as what I wrote above.

So if you do not want that label “Item Submitted for Repair” to appear again in the report, set it to Suppress. But do note of course that this means that label will only appear once, even if you have multiple workorder items in that quote - as by setting that to Suppress, you have told the report template to ONLY display that label once.

• Joyce

PDF is attached.

You are correct. I have three workorder items in the quote. I am trying to make it so that I can multiple workorder items for one unit, and then multiple units in one quote.I am probably trying to make it do something that it wasn’t necessarily designed to do. Basically all I want is to tell the client:

• Here is the unit that you sent to me (unit)

• Here are the repairs that I am going to do to it (workorder type)

I want it pretty simple. The reason I am using workorder items is because it appeared to be the only field that I could use that would allow for me to use the drop down menu. We want the data entry to be uniform in terms of the type of repairs that we are going to do. If I have 3 different people doing the quoting, I want them to pick the repair type from a list, since the repairs we do are usually one of maybe a dozen different repairs we offer. I put the item summary below the workorder type in case we need to type something more detailed for the customer, but for the most part our customers are fine if we were to type something short, such as “rewire connector assembly.”

Another issue is pricing, we quote the repair in total, not for each repair that we do. So if I am using multiple workorder items to describes the repairs that I am going to do to one unit, I don’t need a price to show for each workorder type. I was wondering if it is possible to just put a labor rate in for the first workorder type of that unit and leave the rest blank.

On the PDF that I attached using the template that you provided, notice how the rate for the second workorder type of the first unit is zero how I want it, but the workorder type itself and the item summary are on the second page…

Thanks again for your help.

AyaNova Sales & Support (10/7/2009)Hi again

Actually I just double-checked again, and if you set a text label’s Process Duplicates to Suppress, it DOES NOT display that label again in the report when previewing.

So not as what I wrote above.

So if you do not want that label “Item Submitted for Repair” to appear again in the report, set it to Suppress. But do note of course that this means that label will only appear once, even if you have multiple workorder items in that quote - as by setting that to Suppress, you have told the report template to ONLY display that label once.

• Joyce

I tried that too, it still leaves a large space in between the workorder item types as if it was there. Plus, I’d like to have it show for the next unit on the quote.

Ok, you have a number of things going on here that are affecting each other, which as a result the report template won’t do as you want as it is not able to

1. Pricing on your quote: " "

Right now you have the field label10 in the ReportFooter band bound through the dataset WorkorderItemLabor -> Rate Charge

a. If you are going to have more than one labor record in the quote, than what you have in your customized report template will not sum up the multiple labor records Service Rate Charge amount because you only have it inthe ReportFooter - so it will only ever display data from the first labor record.

b. And because you have it in the ReportFooter which only prints once per quote, even if you have multiple labor records in the workorder (regardless of how many workorder items you have), you will only ever get the data from one labor record.

c. Thethird issue with this is, that you have bound that field to WorkorderItemLabor -> Rate Charge

Whereas when binding, you do not use any of those datasets below WorkorderHeader as explained in the tutorial (URL removed as for older version no longer supported - see the latest version of AyaNova) on creating a Detailed type report template for service workorders (which corresponds the same to creating a Detailed type report template for Quotes). When you go through this tutorial, it stresses and explains throughout(i.e. step 16, etc) to only bind from the dataset WorkorderHeader and its tree subsets. I do recommend that you go through this tutorial

The field should be bound to WorkorderHeader -> WorkorderHeaderWorkorderItem -> WorkorderItemWorkorderItemLabor -> Rate Charge

d. If you want only one amount to show in the ReportFooter band that is bound to WorkorderHeader -> WorkorderHeaderWorkorderItem -> WorkorderItemWorkorderItemLabor -> Rate Charge, then you would only have one labor record in this entire workorder. As the report template has no way with this set up to obtain a running total of any more than one labor record’s Rate Charge.

Suggestion to do for above** " "

If you will only have one labor record per entire workorder, than once you have properly bound label10 to WorkorderHeader -> WorkorderHeaderWorkorderItem -> WorkorderItemWorkorderItemLabor -> Rate Charge, then that will be fine, as it will than show the Rate Charge for that one labor record.

If instead you will have more than one labor record (whether each is entered for a different workorder item, or whether more than one is entered for a single labor record), then you will need to do similar to that in the original sample quote report template where a running total script can be set on each labor records Rate Chargeso that a total can be shown in the ReportFooter.

1. Property of Suppress set for Show Duplicates for the text label field xrlabel18 (where you have the text ITEM SUBMITTED FOR REPAIR: ) " "

a. If you have told this label to suppress if duplicated in the report template, then it will do so.

The suppression is based on the text of that field itself which is ITEM SUBMITTED FOR REPAIR: - so if you have more than one workorder item, that label will not display again because you have set it to suppress if it is set to print again.

That label suppression is not correlated to whether there is a second unit displayed or not - it is only about whether that text ITEM SUBMITTED FOR REPAIR: has already printed on the report or not.

b. in the posting immediately above where you wrote that you tried the suppress " but it still leaves a large space in between the workorder item types as if it was there" that is because you still have that pnlU

Joyce,

Thanks again for your help. I am going to spend a little more time getting familiar with the program and rethink the format of our quotes. We may decide to have you create a template for us once I have reviewed other features of the program to make sure that it is going to work for us.

-Mike