SQL Problem - Unable to connect from a workstation

I’m having a problem with running AyaNova, when it was working before a failed ACT install attempt. On the server itself I’m able to open AyaNova just fine. It’s just when I try to open it on a workstation I get the following error. I doubt highly that it is a problem with AyaNova. It seems to be an issue with the remote connections to the SQL database. Being that I’m not very experienced with SQL, I just thought I’d ask here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AyaNova was unable to start

Depending on how early in startup the problem occurred,
a detailed log of the problem with suggestions may have
been saved to the file AyaLog.txt
located at: file:\C:\Program Files\Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc\AyaNova 3

Error details:
Unhandled Exception:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Inner exception: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Also, I get this if I try to connect using the Microsoft Management Studio.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

Hi

You are correct - it is due to an issue with one or more SQL settings; or it could be that the firewall on the server has been enabled.

Check out the forum topics such as If using VPN connection for remote users and SQL and getting error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified and (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

as both provide links to sites that identfiy specifics that should be checked

Do post back which was the issue.

• Joyce

Thank you very much for the info. I seemed to have found the culprit, I just have one more problem. I was looking in the SQL Surface Configuration and it shows local connections only, ok, so I change it to allow remote TCP/IP connections. I click Apply, and restart the services. Still, Ayanova doesn’t work, I go back to the SQL Surface Config, and it is set back to only allow local connections. I’ve changed it several times and still it changes back. Thanks.

Hi

Perhaps a reboot is needed - do the following:

1. Make sure your server’s Firewall is turned off.

2. Than enable enable the TCP/IP protocol using the Surface Area Configuration Utility for remote connections.

3. Than reboot the entire server itself

4. Than on bringing the server back up and see if it now shows the TCPIP for remote and local.

• Joyce

Finally!! I fixed it! I ended up having to detach the Ayanova database and completely remove SQL express. Then I installed ACT 2008, and then reinstalled the SQL express to a different directory and attach the Ayanova database. ACT is very secretive about installing SQL. At no point did really give me any options about the SQL server install. Well, lesson learned.

Thank you for posting what resolved that issue of not being able to set TCPIP for local and remote connections when ACT is already installed. Sounds like there was an instance of SQL installed specifically by Actthat had overriding settings. Glad to hear it is now resolved, and for posting.

• Joyce