ToMSSQL.exe v3 hangs during migration

I started the process of moving to MS SQL from the Firebird Server config. I ran the version 3 ToMSSQL that I just downloaded from your site. I already have SQL installed. I test the connection string and proceed with the conversion. ToMSSQL then hangs. The overall process is 25%, the lower bar shows create sql database 100%. I checked the Enterprise Manager the first time this failed and the database is created. I deleted the database and re-ran with the same results…Connection to databases succeeded, but migration hangs.

TIA,

Andy

Hi Andy

I will point you towards the topic http://forum.ayanova.com/Topic1031-90-1.aspx?Highlight=tomssqlwhich includes a screenshot of the entered connection string from the Firebird database if previously using the default installation when performing the ToMSSQL .

If you are not using the default installation connection as exampled, please provide additional details such as the connection string used to your Firebird database, the connection string used to the SQL Server, etc.

• Joyce

Andy sent in copies of his AyaNova.exe.config file, a copy of his ayalog.txt file, and a screenshot of what was entered in the ToMSSQL.exe utilities connection string fields which was great as that allowed me to identfy where the issue was.

The Firebird database connection string entered in ToMSSQL was not the same as the connection string of the AyaNova.exe.config file

• Joyce

I found that there was an issue with my install of SQL 2000. I could not identify what the problem was. The problem was not resolved by a removal and re-install of SQL. I have another SQL 2000 box runnning so I ran ToMSSQL and migrated to the other installation without an error.I then shut down the SQL services on both servers and copied the populated database from one server to the other. (Using Windows Explorer, I copied the AyaNova and Master databases from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data to the same location on the desired server. *** This assumes that SQL was installed in the default directory on both servers.*** The Master database holds information that the AyaNova database will not work without!)

The only difference I found is that the server I want to use is the Domain Controller. The server I wound up migrating to is a Member server.

I now have AyaNova running on the Domain Controller without any problems…

Also note that ToMSSQL may appear to hang when it first starts if there is an existing AYANOVA.MDF database file in the defautl location of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data from a previous installation.

The apparent hang is because the ToMSSQL is attempting to remove the existing AyaNova SQL database.

If ToMSSQL appears to hang when it first starts, shut it down, open Windows Explorer, move to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data and see if there is an existing AYANOVA.MDF file there. If there is, do NOT delete it but instead open up SQL Manager, delete the existing AyaNova database via the SQL Manager first, than if the AYANOVA.MDF and LOG files are still in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data only at that time delete them. Then start the ToMSSQL utility again to create the AyaNova SQL database.

• Joyce