unhandled exception

i am receiveing an unhandled exceptionon the remote computer, when i try to run ayanova.exe, the alarm text is at the bottom of this page you will also find the ayanova.exe.config file below and the ayanova.log all files are from the remote computer.

i was able to install the ayanova v3 on the server it seems that the shortcut to ayanova on the desktop of the server no longer worked after i installed firebird, i had to make a new shortcut to ayanova.exe on my desktop and that seems to solve the problem of looking for the msi file. i then copied the whole ayanova 3 folder to my remote computer, and i get the alarm which at the bottom of this page.in the ayanova.exe.config file on the server, i have the datasource set to [removed by admin] which is the name of the server. this seems to work on the server. on the remote computer i triedthe ip address which is 192.168.108 after i received the alarm on the remote computerwith the file unaltered from the server with the datasource set to [removed by admin]

please help i have tried numerous times to install this on a hetwork computer and have no luck thanks

this is the ayanova.exe.config file from the remote computer.

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>
<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version=“v1.1.4322” />
</startup>

<appSettings>
<add key=“Authentication” value=“CSLA” />

<!-- Use a shared Firebird server, NOTE change the 192.168.1.100 below to your Firebird server’s actual IP Address -->
<add key=“ConnectionType” value=“DataBase” />
<add key=“DataBaseType” value=“FireBird” />
<add key=“DataBaseConnectionString” value=“ServerType=0;DataSource=192.168.1.108;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=[removed by admin];Dialect=3;” />

</appSettings>
</configuration>

this is the log file from the remote computer

[Header]
2006-01-31 10:36:30,445 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova start - brief environment:
Machine name: SERVICE
AyaNova Connection: FireBird database, connection string=“ServerType=1;DataBase=AYANOVA.FDB;User=AYANOVA;Password=AYANOVA;Dialect=3;”
Generate PM and Notify from this connection: True
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600.0
CLR version: 1.1.4322.2032
Primary assembly: AyaNova 3.0.0.0
Primary assembly location: [file:///C:/Program](file:///C:/Program) Files/Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc/AyaNova 3/AyaNova.exe

2006-01-31 10:36:34,148 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 -
Key issued: 1/25/2006 6:09:00 PM
Registered to: Unregistered trial
Scheduleable users: 5
Option - QuickBooks interface: True
Option - Web browser interface: True

2006-01-31 10:36:34,148 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - 1334797499
2006-01-31 10:36:42,382 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logged in
2006-01-31 10:36:42,882 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - Settings:
User settings
User: AyaNova Administrator
Language: English
UserType: Administrator
SubContractor: False
Region: DEFAULT
Global settings
Use Notification services: True
CJK Index: False
Use inventory: True
Use regions: True

2006-01-31 10:38:05,143 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator closing AyaNova
2006-01-31 10:38:05,487 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logging out
2006-01-31 10:38:05,784 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova has shut down OK
[Footer]
[Header]
2006-02-01 10:04:44,589 [95072] INFO AyaN

Hello, by “remote computer” do you mean you are setting up a DataPortal and have a remote computer trying to connect from outside your network?

Or do you mean by “remote” that it’s another computer on your internal network and so is a “local” computer?

I’ll take a shot at both ways below in my answer but if you can clarify overall what you are setting up it will narrow down things considerably.

If the remote computer is outside your network, for example on an internet connection at another office, the configuration you have shown would be what you would use if you wanted to not use a data portal and instead connect directly to the database, this is possible however your IP address at the remote computer would definitely not be correct because it’s an internal network IP address, instead you would use the address of your firewall or router in most cases and would need to open up the port for Firebird database. A direct database connection without using a dataportal is not really recommended in most cases because it opens a security hole where people might mess with your database from outside (particularly when you post the password on a public forum like this one, I would change it if it is the actual password and it’s exposed to the internet. We don’t need to know the password unless you want us to connect for troubleshooting and in that case you can privately message the password to us or set up a temporary one and change it afterwards).

If the remote computer is actually a local computer on the same local area network as the firebird server i.e. inside the same building as the server, then it’s a connection problem of some kind, perhaps the IP address is incorrect or there is a file missing that is required for connection. If the serveritself allows connection on it usingthe name you set for it in it’s config, thenthere is no reason not to try that at the other computer since it likely resolves tothe correct computer assuming that’s it’s internal network name and not it’s domain name. Since you copied all the files to the remote computer you could simply change it’s config file to connect to the local copy of the AyaNova.fdb firebird embedded database and confirm that everything you need to connect is present on that computer before attempting to connect to the server.

Also, try deleting the ayalog.txt file on the remote computerbefore you run the program, run it until the error is displayed, exit normally, then check the log file and make sure it didn’t log any more information aboutthat error. It’s a bit strange that you get the error displayed but not logged since the errorseems to be happening after the log file is opened and logging properly.

Again,if this istruly a “remote” computer outside your network connecting across the internet (for example) then you should really use the DataPortal instead as it’s much more secure since you get all the security of the IIS web server as well as a remote user not actually having any access to your database but having to go through AyaNova security on top of the IIS and firewall security.

the remote computer is on my lan

reysone1 (2/3/2006)the remote computer is on my lan

Ok, so it’s not actually “remote” then, it’s local. Half the battle is the terminology! :slight_smile:

So how did you make out with my suggestions for troubleshooting a local connection?

i have tried a few more times with the same results it is not able to get a connection to the server that houses ayanova3? are you telling me i need to hire a network guy to install this?

i have my old ayanova installed with no problems.

any ideas as to what i might be having a problem with. i have set both machines to share all the folders associated with ayanova. with full read write access on both machines.

any help would be great

thanks here is the log file from thelan computer and the info on the server computer. it is now back to default

thanks

[Header]
2006-01-31 10:36:30,445 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova start - brief environment:
AyaNova Connection: FireBird database, connection string=“ServerType=1;DataBase=AYANOVA.FDB;User=AYANOVA;Password=AYANOVA;Dialect=3;”
Primary assembly location: [file:///C:/Program](file:///C:/Program) Files/Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc/AyaNova 3/AyaNova.exe

2006-01-31 10:36:34,148 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 -

2006-01-31 10:36:34,148 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - 1334797499
2006-01-31 10:36:42,382 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logged in
2006-01-31 10:36:42,882 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - Settings:
User settings
Global settings

2006-01-31 10:38:05,143 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator closing AyaNova
2006-01-31 10:38:05,487 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logging out
2006-01-31 10:38:05,784 [58792] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova has shut down OK
[Footer]
[Header]
2006-02-01 10:04:44,589 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova start - brief environment:

2006-02-01 10:04:46,683 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 -

2006-02-01 10:04:46,683 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - 1334797499
2006-02-01 10:04:52,432 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logged in
2006-02-01 10:04:52,635 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - Settings:
User settings
Global settings

2006-02-01 10:05:05,775 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator closing AyaNova
2006-02-01 10:05:05,994 [95072] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova

here is the log file from the lan computer after i erased both of them

and below that is the log file from the server computer

log from the lan computer

[Header]
2006-02-03 13:39:42,974 [956] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova start - brief environment:
Machine name: APPLICATIONS
AyaNova Connection: FireBird database, connection string=“ServerType=0;DataSource=service.allendalemachinery.com;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=allmach5;Dialect=3;”
Generate PM and Notify from this connection: False
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.0.2195.0
CLR version: 1.1.4322.573
Primary assembly location: [file:///C:/Program](file:///C:/Program) Files/Ground Zero Tech-Works Inc/ayanova 3/AyaNova.exe

log from the server

[Header]
2006-02-03 13:42:10,612 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova start - brief environment:
AyaNova Connection: FireBird database, connection string=“ServerType=0;DataSource=service.allendalemachinery.com;DataBase=AYANOVA;User=SYSDBA;Password=allmach5;Dialect=3;”
Generate PM and Notify from this connection: False

2006-02-03 13:42:11,049 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 -

2006-02-03 13:42:11,049 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - 1334797499
2006-02-03 13:42:12,971 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logged in
2006-02-03 13:42:13,096 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - Settings:
User settings
Global settings

2006-02-03 13:42:21,845 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator closing AyaNova
2006-02-03 13:42:22,017 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova Administrator logging out
2006-02-03 13:42:22,205 [28544] INFO AyaNova.Form1 - AyaNova has shut down OK
[Footer]

reysone1 (2/3/2006)i have tried a few more times with the same results it is not able to get a connection to the server that houses ayanova3? are you telling me i need to hire a network guy to install this?

I don’t recall telling you that you need a network guy to install it :), we didn’t design it to require a network guy.

Let’s start fresh on this, do not make any more changes unless I ask you to and confirm anything I ask you to confirm, some of the stuff you have changed is unnecessary and risky.

First off it’s important to know that you can delete the AyaLog.txt file at any time when the program isn’t running and it will re-create a fresh one the next time you run it. The helpful information is only the most recent right now so I want you to close AyaNova anywhere it might be running and delete the AyaLog.txt file in the program folder.

Now let’s focus on the computer that has the firebird server on it and the computer that doesn’t. The one with the Firebird server appears to be called “SERVICE” and the computer that you are trying to connect from appears to be called “APPLICATIONS” let me know if this is not correct but I’ll assume it is with the following.

The Applications computer needs to connect to the SErvice computer’s Firebird database server. This has nothing at all to do with file shares, sharing files and folders makes no difference, this isn’t like the old AyaNova that used a shared database file, instead the Applications computer is communicating through the network over tcp/ip to the firebird server software running on the server computer.

If the Applications computer can’t communicate with or find the Firebird server you will get a connection error similar to what I saw in your earlier post. I suspect that what is happening is the Applications computer’s AyaNova.exe.Config file setting of the domain name of the Service computer instead of it’s IP address is what’s causing the problem.

First and foremost let’s get the correct IP address of the Service computer and make sure that the firebird server is actually setup and ready for a connection.

Open a command prompt on the Service computer and type ipconfig and hit enter, it will display your local network address a few lines down, something like this which will not be the same on your except by co-incidence.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.69

Copy that number down. This is the internal IP address of the Service computer and it is what you want to always be using instead of the external domain name to avoid problems and delays that are unnecessary.

Change your AyaNova.exe.Config on teh SERVICE computer so that instead of “Service.AllendaleMachinery.com” it has that IP address. Save and run AyaNova, if it starts proceed to the next step, if not let me know and don’t change anything else.

You will use this number at the Applications computer instead of the service.allendalemachinery.com as the datasource.

Change the AyaNova.exe.Config file at the Applications computer so that it uses the internal IP address instead. Test it and let me know how it goes.

i am pretty sure that the ip address of my computer changes from time to time. my current ip is 192.168.1.121 i put that in the server computer config file and was able to bring up ayanova. no problem

i went to the wrokstation and input that ip address and i received the same error message as before unable to complete network request to host “192.168.1.121”

reysone1 (2/3/2006)i am pretty sure that the ip address of my computer changes from time to time. my current ip is 192.168.1.121 i put that in the server computer config file and was able to bring up ayanova. no problem

i went to the wrokstation and input that ip address and i received the same error message as before unable to complete network request to host “192.168.1.121”

The IP address of your computer that is the server must never change. If your network is configured that way you have a problem. What is more likely and what you’re probably thinking of is that your external address changes, the address that the internet sees from the outside, it’s not likely your internal address would change, but if you suspect it might you should look into it, it’s going to be a constant headache if the internal address changes.

Assuming that the internal address of the Service computer doesn’t change:

It’s sounding like a firewall of some sort is blocking the connection. Does the Service computer have a software firewall on it such as the one that comes with Windows or is it on the other side of a firewal or router from the Applications computer?

What I need you to do is confirm connectivity outside of AyaNova over tcp/ip to the Service computer.

Open a command prompt at the Applications computer and type “ping 192.168.1.121”

Depending upon what you see there are several possibilties from here, I’m assuming in this that the config file on the Applications machine is identical to the config file on the Service machine in all respects including the IP address etc:

1. if you see a series of replies then you know that there is a connection to it on a basic level, but not for the firebird protocol. This could mean that the Service computer has a firewall enabled on the internal side of the network that is blocking connections. Firebird by default uses tcp/ip port number 3050. If there is a firewall enabled on the Service computer port 3050 needs to be enabled for local connections.

It might also mean that there is a difference in the configuration files, double check them to ensure the applications machine is the same as the one that works on the Service machine.

1. If you see a series of timeouts with no reply then there is a basic connection problem between the two over tcp/ip and this could be again a firewall blocking all traffic from the internal network on tcp/ip or blocking the protocol used by the ping utility. Or, in fact the network address changed on the Service computer, double check by running ipconfig on it again.

Generally speaking you are at the point where it should be working perfectly, something about the network is blocking the connection, we should be able to track it down if we go through it step by step, let me know what the results of the above are.

ping 192.168.1.121 no problem from the applications computer

reysone1 (2/3/2006)ping 192.168.1.121 no problem from the applications computer

Ok , well that’s narrowing it down, let me know about the stuff I posted if that was the case.

i am not using any firewall other than the windows firewall that comes with xp

i copied the config file directly from the service computer after i verified that it was working on the service computer with the ip address 192.168.1.121

hallelujah brother

i opened windows firewall from the control panel and added 3050 as an exception.

maybe you should note this on installation instructions

thanks

Good to hear!